Nifty layout puzzle.

Ok, I can't argue against that. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Just in case it wasn't obvious to everyone, I just like to point out there is *no* real world solution; since both boards have the same surface area (288 sq.in.), and all saws have some kerf, you can't cut the board even once and expect the same surface area unless you recover the sawdust, mix it with resin or something and glue it back on (an interesting idea, but not in the spirit of the rules).

Given that, I think lacking a perfect 90 degree turn doesn't really matter.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

So cut it with a knife. Sheesh.

Doug Miller

Looks pretty trivial. My answer is the same as Doug's, recognizing that the loss due to saw kerf is not part of this idealized problem.

A non-trivial version of this puzzle is the following: You have a

10'x10' piece of carpet and a 1'x8' piece of carpet. Cut one of these two carpet pieces into two pieces (with no losses), and use the resulting three pieces to carpet a 9'x12' room.
Reply to
alexy

Or plunge cut with a skill saw or jig saw.

Reply to
Leon

I can do it with two cuts but not yet with one

Reply to
Dimarela

I made that mistake also. You can have as many cuts as you like as long as you only end up with 2 pieces.

Reply to
Leon

Cut into peice "x" and peice "o" as below

|o|xx| |o|xx| |o|xx| |o|xx| |oo|x| |oo|x| |oo|x| |oo|x|

Rejoin like this:

|x x| |x x| |x x| |x x| |o|x| |o|x| |o|x| |o|x| |o o| |o o| |o o| |o o|

So, do I win a shiny new tool? :)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

That's three pieces instead of the required two.

Reply to
John Keeney

You mustn't let details/reality like that interfere with solving a thought problem.

Reply to
John Keeney

Hmm, if the board is thin enough (say, 1/16th cork) can we get there with a knife?

Reply to
John Keeney

Yeah, like several others, I read that as 2 cuts and not pieces the first time around. ;~)

Reply to
Leon