Nifty layout puzzle.

Page 1 of 2
I had seen this many moons ago, but my BIL reminded me of it over the holidays.
A guy has a 3' x 8' board.
He needs to fill a hole 2' x 12'
He cuts the board into 2 pieces, which fit the hole perfectly.
How?
I'm sure some of you have seen this, but it still demonstrates what 'thinking out of the box' is all about.
I accept all .dwg, .dxf and scanned pencil or ascii art. *G* Result will be posted in abpw in the next few days.
PS. Board-stretchers are not allowed.
Rob

One simple solution is cut the board diagonally from corner to corner, slide the two pieces along the cut edge until the width of both pieces equals 2'.
You should then have your 2' x 12' board.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
"Swingman" wrote in message

Correction, inadvertently left out a few words in that last sentence:
"You should then, using the two cut off excess triangles on each end, have enough material for your 2' x 12' board."
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

But then you would have cut the 3' x 8' board into more than 2 pieces.
Only 2 pieces are allowed. *S*
"Robatoy" wrote in message

have
Arrrgggg. Details, details ... that's what you get for working and fartin' off at the same time.
I haven't done, and don't have the time at the moment, to do the little bit of math required to answer if my diagonal cut would allow you stretch out, as I described, to 2 x 12' ... apparently it doesn't?
If not, I'm with Leon ... ignore my previous posts on the subject. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

That's three pieces instead of the required two.

Yeah, like several others, I read that as 2 cuts and not pieces the first time around. ;~)
My e-mail with the solution drawing bounced back to me.
I posted on a.b.p.w.

My mistake. I keep forgetting to mention "remove BULL" from my addy.
Oups 2 pieces, not 2 cuts... Please disregard all my posts to the solution,, LOL

(best viewed in fixed-space font e.g. Courier)
Cut thus:
__________________ | _________| |________| | |_________________|
|<--4'-->|<--4'-->|
and reassemble thus:
___________________________ | _________| | |________|_________________|

If I understand your picture properly, I thought of doing it the same way. But for all practical purposes, it's impossible to make a 90 turn while continuing the same cut. And if it could be done, then in actuality, then the puzzle could be done with one cut.
??????????????????????? ??????4'????? ? ? ?????4'?????? ???????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????? ? ???????????? ? ???????????????????????????????????

Guess it didn't come out right. Must have been some forbidden characters.

You can make as many cuts as you like, as long as you only end up with 2 pieces.
*S*
Rob

Not hard at all with a saber saw or a scroll saw.

Well, yes.

View it in a fixed-space font as I suggested when I posted it, and you should have no difficulty understanding it.

scroll saw band saw saber saw keyhole saw

Obviously it can, on both counts. Note that the statement of the problem specified two *pieces*, and placed no restrictions on the number of cuts.

Maybe in your world you can make a sharp 90 cut with those tools, but my world doesn't allow for it.

Well, there I misread the rules of the puzzle. I thought it had to be two cuts which I couldn't figure out.
So it's a problem of semantics? To be absolutely accurate about this, Doug's solution will not work in the real world. All his suggested methods of cutting are going to leave a kerf and the two boards will no longer be two feet across but will be 1/8 inch or so shy.

Ok, I can't argue against that. :)