Newbie question on edge joining

Page 2 of 2
"Do I need to get the edges perfect "
No, but if you ever can do "perfect" share your technique!
Though you never said, the assumption is that you chose biscuits because your design precludes using dowels through the one piece into the other as the doweling would show on the one surface.
Dowels have the advantage of a secure mechanical "bond" which the (recommended) wood glue enhances.
If there is nothing else holding the two boards together, I think the dowels would out perform the biscuits over time.
I may have a cheap BJ, but the slots it cuts and the standard (porter cable labeled) biscuits I bought do not mate tightly (I have pressed two biscuits in the one slot (that's tight!) to get the mechanical fit I prefer.
Your Biscuit Jointing technique may well result in a tighter fit.
By the way, if anyone knows (for certain) if I can get the blade of my BJ ground down to make thinner slots or a source for thinner 4" carbide blades for a BJ - I'm interested.

I, and lots of other people here, get perfect edges whenever we want. Do you have a specific question? I'll be glad to offer suggestions and possible solutions. I'm sure others would also chime in. <G>
"I, and lots of other people here, get perfect edges whenever we want."
Wow, and do you walk on water as well?
Humor, apparently, doesn't translate well on these lists.
I was attempting a bit of tongue in cheek repartee - in my world, God does perfect, mere mortals come close at times.

Why not cut the slots on a router table with a 3-wing slot cutter?
"Why not cut the slots on a router table with a 3-wing slot cutter?"
What, and waste all that $$pent on the Biscuit Joiner?

On 16 Dec 2006 17:55:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I would either reduce the height of the piece by say one inch or Draw a square line and use a rasp to square them. It will take a bit of work -esp if its hardwood- but you can have good control with a rasp.
Good Luck, J

You're only missing one small, inexpensive item to "square" the ends of your boards using a tool you already own.
Forget the "saw guide" and spend a few more bucks at HD for a small roofing square.
Use it (either held or clamped to the board) to guide your circular saw for the squaring end cut with your circular saw.
It's done a thousand times a day on a construction site and will be close enough for your purposes until you gain more skill and tools.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/16/06