Re: Newbie question edge joining of 3/4 thick cedar.

The only caution is that cedar is soft. Kitchen cabinets get used heavily and will show the wear perhaps quicker than you'd like. I don't see that anything other than glue is needed if the boards are edge jointed first. Four inch boards don't need biscuits. Glue, clamp and plane.

Phil

Jerry Hobs> I was talking who does nice work around his house with pine and cedar. He edge

joins a lot of material, it's all over his house. > Not master craftsman work but not bad looking stuff. > I've decided to make kitchen cabinets in my basement suite out of 1 inch cedar. > I have a lot of nice 4 inch wide stuff. > > So I asked him what joinery method he recommended expecting him to say biscuits, > or dowels. > He uses small ring nails. He cuts the heads off adds his glue and then forces > the boards together with clamps. He has fancy clamps that apply pressure to all > four sides of his boards at once. > He says this work just as good as biscuits or dowels. > > The question I have, is he right? > It seems like an easy and cheap method for joining boards if you keep them under > planner width.
Reply to
PC

How'd you like to be a fly on the wall when someone in a wood-starved future tried to saw the stuff apart?

Reply to
George