Newbie Question - Getting sawdust off/out of the wood

Page 2 of 2

scribbled:

Though you'd still be wise to do it. If nothing else, it highlights loose glue and sanding faults to give you a second chance.
Thanks, I'll try both ways and see what results I get.
Actually, on 2nd thought, I'll just clean with mineral spirits -- to keep things simple and save some time at the expense of some money.

True. Wiping with mineral spirits does give you an idea what it will look like when finished, so you can fix things if needed. But it won't raise the grain.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking

That's one of the reasons JOAT's wooddorking gods invented air compressors.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Or Shopvacs with a blowing attachment.
Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Woodworking
Try wiping off the dust with your non-slip router mat. Shake the mat after each wipe.

Tack cloths are not out. Probably more of us use them than make their own. The prevailing theory of those who rail against tack cloth are that they can't crowbar the 99cents out of their wallet to buy one. I am curious about giving a newbie the advice about making one out of old shellac. How much old shellac do you happen to have lying around your place, rbrandywine?
Uh, well not a lot. ;-)

I generally use mineral spirits if I will use varnish. With oil, nothing is necessary.
Are you saying you go water--light sanding--mineral spirits when applying varnish? That makes sense, if it works. But why wouldn't an oil finish require the same treatment? Is it because the oil flows through any small amount of sawdust *on* the wood and sinks into the wood?

That is correct. Oil does not form a film, so any dust just comes off with the oil rag. It is cleaning and applying at the same time. Some people like to sand while the oil is fresh, thinking the dust fills pores; but authorities say it comes out as fast as it goes in.
That's great! Either way I go now, varnish or oil, I've got a reasonable method for cleaning the wood up before finishing.

And then there is a product called a SANDING SEALER in case you aren't confused enough.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My projects are small, so I just use a shop vac with a soft brush. I only tried tack cloth once a few years back and maybe it was just the brand that I got but it was loaded with gunk that came right off on the wood (do you use tack cloth right after you open it or is it supposed to be exposed to air for a while? )
That's a very good question somewildmon -- I'll be interested in hearing the answer.
I've heard of sanding sealer and will read up on it here but I'm trying to keep this simple as I've got a LOT of wood to finish.