Newbie Question - Featherboards

Page 1 of 2
I've heard of 'em, and seen 'em in use by Norm on TOH, New Yankee Workshop, etc., but I've never seen a picture of one so I could duplicate it. Can anybody post a link for this and other basic beginner tools & tips? How do they fasten to the saw?
--
NorthStar

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
http://www.woodzone.com/tips/featherboard.htm
Tip beneficial to newbies: Learn to use Goggle.
There is a world(wide web) of woodworking lore at your fingertips, so DAGS by typing in "featherboards" at:
http://www.google.com/advanced_search
... and you'll get more than you ever wanted to know about same.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

NorthStar58 snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Mark wrote:

Funny... This comes up a lot. "What does that mean?" "It means do a google search" "Well why don't you just say that, why do you have to use a non-standard acronymn, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, whine whine whine."
It occurs to me that I haven't seen DAGS used anywhere but here. Most other places just say STFW. I guess that means the Wreck is a more polite place than usual, and the whiners should STFU.
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:44:35 -0500, Silvan

DAGS --> tmLJ. Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Silvan wrote:

what's a "non-standard acronymn"? All groups of people use there own terminology, some of it as TLA and FLA. When in Rome.... roam around.
BRuce

This page is OK for tips on construction. I prefer poplar over plywood for featherboards. The illustration of how to use the featherboard is WRONG! Having the featherboard extend past the front of the blade is asking for kickback.
Bench Dog Tools makes an excellent plastic featherboard called the Feather-Loc. It is connected to an aluminum bar that locks in a mitre slot with two screw down handles that expand the aluminum bar. It is so quick to set up that I use it for all rip cuts where it will fit. My homemade featherboards work fine but take more set up time to clamp to the table or clamp to the fence.
--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:43:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (Steve James) scribbled

I agree emphatically. It will push the offcut into the blade, ensuring that the wood becomes a projectile. Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Hey ... it ain't my page, take it up with the author. The OP didn't know what a featherboard was, now he does. He didn't know how to search the web, now he should. The page url was posted at random as an example of what he could find if he took the time to search for himself ... I wasn't about to read the damn thing for him too.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman wrote:

Check out this months Fine WW'ing, "Methods of Work" They're using Rare Earth Magnets to keep them in position
Kevin
The original message was intended to help you, a self-professed newbie, with two INFORMATIVE links posted to do so ... ... you're welcome shithead.
If you took my post the wrong way, it is entirely YOUR problem.
Now, be prepared to 'WTF" some more:
Did you search the archives before you posted? Obviously not ... but had you lurked a bit before you tried to become a forum moderator with the post below, you would have known it is expected that you should do so before posting that type of question.
Count yourself lucky that it was me that TOOK THE TIME to answer your original post and not JOAT
Spend less time erroneously castigating and more time lurking ... you will learn a lot more around here.
Now go fuck yourself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
: The original message was intended to help you, a self-professed newbie, with : two INFORMATIVE links posted to do so ... ... you're welcome shithead. : : If you took my post the wrong way, it is entirely YOUR problem. : : Now, be prepared to 'WTF" some more: : : Did you search the archives before you posted? Obviously not ... but had you : lurked a bit before you tried to become a forum moderator with the post : below, you would have known it is expected that you should do so before : posting that type of question. : : Count yourself lucky that it was me that TOOK THE TIME to answer your : original post and not JOAT : : Spend less time erroneously castigating and more time lurking ... you will : learn a lot more around here. : : Now go fuck yourself. :
Now now now, people of all ages read these groups (kids also). There is enough foul and obscene content here from spammers and the like. No need for educated professionals to add to the foul mess.
So Bob ... if the words are that offensive to you, why did you repost them?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Bob Gramza wrote:

On 28-Oct-2003, BRuce <BRuce> wrote:

Well, I think that a lot of folks would interpret DAGS as meaning search web sites, not newsgroups. The former can take hours.
The _only_ newsgroup that I frequent which assumes newsgroup search by default is this one. This newsgroup has it's own inside jokes, it's own abbreviations/acronyms/whatever etc, and the learning curve isn't as trivial to the newbie as some other newsgroups. Even going through the FAQs (e.g. http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/roche/wood.html ) would take some time to find every nuanced bit of trivia that relates to this group.
Cut the newbies a little slack.
Mike
ok, I stand corrected. from my information gathering experience I start the the narrowest search and expand if I get insufficient results. if I am trying to get an answer to a woodworking question, I start with the wreck and expand from there. I don't read any other groups so have to plead ignorance on this one.
{sarcastic comment deleted}
BRuce
Michael Daly wrote:

NorthStar wrote...

Go to my site http://www.knology.net/~woodworkersbench/Free%20Plans.htm There are a couple of plans there under "F"
--
Jake Jarvis
... but don't EVER trust your spell checker.