featherboards

am now looking into buying featherboards for the router table. I never saw a need for it with table saw or anything else, until I got the router table (so it's gonna be for the router table). Browsing in Amazon.com, I am surprised that the above link has so many negative reviews? I am just looking for simple featherboards. I don't think I would want a Bench Dog since it's looks big and bulky (not mentioning it's 3-4 times more expensive?)?

I looked back when I was in the WW Show, they had those for $1.00 each! I wish I took a handful of those (got into router table after the WW Show).

Will I regret for buying the above link, or even those $1.00 bulks? If you know of better ones, let me know. But, hopefully it's available in Amazon.com since I have a gift certificate that I like to use up.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

I make all my featherboards as these are easy and cheap to make and you can custom make the ones you need. I thought about buying a magnetic featherboard for my cast iron tablesaw, but the ones I've made work just fine. A good router table should have places on it to allow clamping featherboards both vertically (to the fence) and horizontally (to the table).

Reply to
Phisherman

I have to second that. One of my favorite things to do is make a featherboard. I have lots of them. It is the same way I feel about buying sawhorses. Why buy one when you can make one exactly like you want it?

Reply to
Robert Allison

1) Make your own. 2) Take a run to your local Harbor Freight.

I bought some for $1 and the one you show on Amazon was $5.

At those prices, I don't have time to make them.

BTW, I use lots of featherboards, especially for ripping on a table saw.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Do featherboards normally go bad? To tell if it's bad is if it isn't stiff anymore? Also, no matter what brand, they all will become soft?

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

CNT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I picked up two of those for alot less money. If I had paid $10 each, I'd be livid at their performance.

Since I paid about $3 each, I'm happy with them. I just use QuikClamps to attach them where I want them.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

CNT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I wouldn't think it. Especially with your qualifier "normally".

I have two of the "Amazon" ones, one Bench Dog brand and a few home-made. So far, none have lost their 'push'. Seems to me if they do, you'd just snug them up a little tighter.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

make yer own.

Reply to
bridger

Reply to
larry in cinci

I have one of those and it really sucks. Got if free with something or other and paid too much. Just make your own. I have a free plan at the link below.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

I agree, make your own. I've got a bunch that I made out of 3/4" pine in a variety of sizes. They're trivial to make. I've experimented with finger length to get just the amount of springiness that seems right to me. Some I fancied up with hold-down knobs, others I just clamp to the table/fence/whatever.

I once went nuts and bought one of the commercial hardwood featherboards you can get from most catalog places. It sucked. There wasn't enough spring in the fingers, it was too short, it came with some silly metal piece that I still have no idea what purpose it was intended to serve. One day, it failed to prevent a kickback and self-destructed in the process. I salvaged the knob and the cute little thingie that fits in a table saw slot, and wrote the rest of it off as a mistake.

Reply to
Roy Smith

For some uses, old nylon cutting boards are just the job for making featherboards - cafes and restaurants need to replace them regularly and throw the old ones out.

John

Reply to
John

======================= I have been making sawdust for 40 years and my daughter gave me a couple of Bench Dog featherboards about 5 years ago as a gift.

All I can say is I WAS A DUMB... HARD HEADED .. SKIN FLINT (cheap guy) for not buying a couple years ago.... they are absolutely easy to use and work fantastic.. so much better then any of the ones I had either made or purchased that I have not once, not a single time used one of the old ones since day one...

BTW: I use them on the tablesaw alot....

Just my opinion...

Bob G....

Reply to
Bob G.

I agree the Bench Dog ones are the best there are - supports the saying "you get what you pay for..." I use them on my Unisaw and my router table and wouldn't be without them.

BillyB

Reply to
BillyBob

I got one like this at Woodcraft of all places. It's okay, but obviously a cheapie. Rockler has some that are black in color and quite a bit beefier, meaning they lock into the miter slot much more solidly. It was probably more like $12 or $13 but I'm happy with it. If I felt I needed several more or many different kinds at this stage of my woodworking, I'd probably learn to make them.

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

See ABPW.