Newbie: help me feel better...

Just cutting my first project with my brand new WWII saw blade, and cut through the end of a drywall screw. Perhaps only a millimeter of it, but still...

Will it be OK? Has anyone else done this?

BTW, it's true: this blade cuts edges like glass. At least when crosscutting pine.

Reply to
Sammy

Naah, I'd throw that drywall screw away. ;-)

-- Mark

P.S. Sorry about the WWII. The very first day of marching band practice I dropped my brand new trombone. About $500 of 1975 money. The slide was never the same. It still isn't.

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I cut clean through a 6-penny finish nail with my WWII a few months ago, with no noticeable effect on the blade or the quality of the cuts. OTOH, a drywall screw is a bit harder than a finish nail. If I were you, I'd inspect the blade pretty carefully before using it. If there's any damage visible to any of the teeth, don't use it; send it back to Forrest for repair. If you can't see any damage, make a few test cuts. If you can't tell any difference (and I'm betting you won't), keep using it and don't worry.

It'll do the same when crosscutting white oak or sugar maple, too. I get near-perfect cuts from mine, no matter what I'm cutting.

Doug Miller

Not a good idea, especially not for a drywall screw....

But on the bright side, it sounds like it was embedded in the timber. Carbide is pretty hard, but brittle. It's the shock of hitting exposed steel that usually chips carbide, not the ones already deep in a cut.

Time to find a good desklight and maybe a magnifier. Definitely take the blade off the saw. Then you'll have to look for yourself.

BTW - Why are you using a good blade to saw up firewood ? Keep a junker for that sort of thing.

Andy Dingley

You're right about that.

The easels I'm building require such an angle that one must first cut one board, then screw it into another to get the final angle (don't ask). Anyway, the whole thing struck me as dangerous and stupid, and I won't do it again.

I gave it a brief visual, though not the magnifying glass as yet. It only got the very tip of it. Literally a millimeter, if that. The cuts since have been immaculate, but I'm only cutting pine right now.

Anyway, to top it off, my new JDS accu-miter fell out of the slot and onto the floor today as well!

GODDAMMIT! It was all cockeyed, I almost crapped my pants...

It's all straightened out now, but I'm disappointed with myself. (To be fair, this is a new start after a couple of year layoff.)

Reply to
Sammy

Not exactly. Mine is a much, much cheaper Freud, and it was a piece of angle iron. I cut about 1/8" into the thing just as pretty as you please, on about the second day I had the blade. It made a very nice cut.

I bought a new, identical blade a few weeks later, with the intention of sending the original off somewhere to get it sharpened. Just for kicks, I did some test cuts with both blades. I can't see much difference, and if I had to pick a better one, I'd say the original one cuts slightly better than the new one. I haven't bothered to get it sharpened.

The main thing to watch out for is chipped teeth.

Reply to
Silvan

.... as long as the damage is limited to tools, consider yourself ahead of the game.

Reply to
Swingman