New to Sketchup

Page 2 of 2
Swingman wrote:

I looked up the XPS1210, and it has a discrete graphics card (nVidia GeForce 7400). Not a slouch. Thank you for providing another data point. Due to astigmatism in my eyes, I'd prefer a larger screen or I won't enjoy using it very much.
Bill

On 4/20/2013 1:03 PM, Bill wrote:

provide basic driver info to the Linux world. But if you like Linux you probably already knew that.
I stay away from NVIDIA
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

I have built a Linux kernel, and I can use Linux if I have to. Most of the fun 15 years ago seemed to be in configuring a printer and other hardware to work. Since then, I believe, installation has gotten alot easier. I definitely appreciate the work of the open source community (SourceForge.org)!
Bill

Bill wrote:

Jeff,
As time goes on (especially after seeing Windows 8), Linux is looking better and better.
It's hard for me to like a trend in operating systems that gives me less and less power! Your thoughts too, I'm sure.
Bill

Over the years I have had 3 laptops and 1 luggable suitcase computer.
About a year ago I bought the machine I am typing on now, and couldn't be happier. As usual, I feel like I was a bit too tight and should have bought it earlier, but can't redo the past.
I bought it for several reasons. My business is as small as it has ever been, and now I do everything for it including washing dishes. So the first thing that made sense to me was that I could take my documents, contract forms, invoicing and communications with me where I went through my day.
Free wireless is everywhere. I store no passwords on my computer, never check "remember me" on any websites, and I don't log onto my accounts at Starbucks. The cigar shop I frequent has great security (the guy that set it up is an old wonk, techno geek guy that is hyper paranoid about security) and if I need to access my email from there it is great. Occasionally I do break my own protocol when I get the call of "hey Robert, if you can get your invoice over to me this afternoon I can it in the pay cycle". I stop at any place that has wireless, type out the invoice, log in for about a minute and then send it off.
Same with a contract modification. Same with a report that needs a clarification. Same a picture that needs to be sent to reinforce my suggestions for repairs. Stop somewhere get a glass of tea, get done what I need to do offline, then log on, fire it off, log off.
Last month, I had taken a bunch of pics with my high res camera for a roof inspection. My suggestion was that the tile roof needed a lot of detail work to keep it watertight and to remedy the existing leaks and my estimate reflected that. My client isn't going to go stomping around in his roof, but wanted to know what I saw. Across town from my HO, but near the client, I stopped in Office Depot and bought a ten pack of CDs for 6 bucks, burned 320 mb of pics (not resized, obviously, and dpi set at 300 for clarity) onto a CD an delivered it to his office within an hour.
He thinks I have a large, efficient support staff and was impressed by how fast I was. He would be much less impressed if he knew I bought the CDs, went to McDonalds and got a tea and burned the pics to a disc in a restaurant full of screaming kids and old people.
At $3.60 for gas, and 10 miles to a gallon with my truck, I can't even imagine how much money this machine has saved me driving back to my office for simple clerical tasks. I am no longer tethered to my home office. If I am working across the city and finish late in the day and don't want to spend an hour plus in traffic, I can pull over and work just about anywhere.
I have an ASUS computer, and when I bought it they claimed about 6 hours of battery life. As with my other computers I immediately cut that by 75% thinking that would be about right. Nope. One time (all power savings devices activated) it lasted 6 hrs and 14 minutes before failure. I can easily work 5 hours (doing my normal tasks, not watching BluRay movies) without any power if I start with a full charge.
The keyboard is large enough to be comfortable, and the screen is excellent. This machine has one HDMI out for use as a presentations machine, DVI out for use with a monitor, 3 USB ports with one being USB 3, bluetooth, a regular NIC card/cable connection which I like for secure computing, and an excellent wireless adaptor that works everywhere I have been so far.
With an i5 processor, 750G HDD, 6 G or usable RAM, and a pretty good video card, it is more computer than I have ever had AND I can take it with me.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks for an interesting statement/review!
Bill

I too picked up an ASUS I5 for $349 on sale... A K55A 500gb disk and 4gb of memory, added a 4gb stick and I am really happy. It's fast, and Win7.
Wish I had bought two or 3.
I could easily use them, 2 more for Linux.
--
Jeff

On 4/19/2013 5:29 AM, Bill wrote:

You won't find that in any low end laptops but here is several with your requirements:
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?action=init&current-catalog-id F0696583E04D8