(New subscriber) Latest and greatest tools, and old-time tools

Page 7 of 7

Certainly the more expensive tools are not for every one. Festool is near the top of available and affordable tools. Yes there are more expensive tools and probably better quality too but for the most part Festool offers a higher quality tool that is also aimed at the general public. What Festool does offer, over most other brands that you would find at the big box, are tools that are quite unique and in general will deliver better results faster and safer. I mentioned Festool for the same reason Harbor Freight was mentioned. I felt that you wanted to know which tools we were using and recommending.
But seriously, if you really get into this craft, the Festool Domino will make your plate joiner AKA biscuit cutter, should you buy one of those first, into a paper weight. It is a tool that you will/can use on most every project.

Completely agree! After buying a Domino, my biscuit cutter sat on the shelf unused for two years. Sold it this past summer with a box of 2000 biscuits for $50. Yup, I certainly lost money on it, but after the Domino came on the scene, I really don't care. The Domino is so easy to use and such a pleasure to use that it virtually eclipses all like tools that came before it.
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:49:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

I didn't like the biscuit cutter from day one. Even though it's supposed to be a decent one (PC), I can't stand using it. It's noisy (it's an angle grinder, after all) and sloppy.
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 00:24:47 -0800 (PST), Jeff Mazur

Actually, I think we're all like that. We just have different lines we draw and, of course, different resources available. I can't see Festering drills or even sanders (yet) but didn't even have (much) pain with the $500 saw or router or $900 Domino. Those I could *see* what I was trading for that cash.
One hard lesson I learned some time ago[*] was that I won't settle for a second-rate tool. It's difficult to justify a new tool if I already have one. If I can't afford the "best" today, I can wait until tomorrow. I'd rather wait than spend a decade regretting my decision every time I pick up the tool.
[*] Lived with Crapsman tools for decades.

Talk to me when you think you might consider a Festool sander. Especially the Rotex sanders.

It'll likely be some time. Really, they're about the only other Festool I'm looking at. I'm really shy about buying anything where there's a lock-in. That's why I grew a beard. ;-)

Lock-in?

Gillette model, without the "free" part.

I'm still confused, do you feel that a Festool sander would require something special to make them run?

Sandpaper? I can't buy brand-x.

OK, Ill agree. But I really don't spend any more on sand paper than I did when I was using 3M and Porter Cable paper. The Festool paper is superior to a lot of regular sand papers. I probably buy on average of less than 2 boxes a year. I really don't use over 6~8 sheets of paper combined for my finish sander and Rotex on a particular project.
Add to that both sanders used with a vac at all times reduces dust to almost zero, I no longer wear an apron when I sand. A benefit to zero dust is that the paper does not clog as easily as when it is constantly working on the dust and the project too. And when I switched over to Festool paper I did not notice much of a price difference compared to what I was buying. That becomes even less expensive when you factor in the paper lasting 50~100% longer than conventional paper.
Not trying to sell you, just letting you know that the price of the paper is not a concern to me since it is less expensive in the long run.

Let me just say that I'm unconvinced. ;-)

The "clogging paper" is probably what I'm missing, though there are other similar sanders.

Sure. I appreciate it. I keep looking at them but haven't convinced myself that they deserve a place high enough on my wish list to ever make the cut. ;-)

I understand, I bought my Rotex on Robatoys recommendation. IMHO it was worth the investment with simply the efficiency of the dust collection.

Yeah there are similar sanders but you should really try a Rotex out at your local dealer when the time comes to buy a replacement. These sanders can be amazingly aggressive, just short of what a belt sander will do, or in TOS mode quite smooth.

Just don't try one out till you are in the market. ;~)
On 12/9/2013 2:19 AM, Leon wrote:

I do not understand that. With a vac connected to either my bosch quarter paper sander or my pc ROS both are close to 100% efficiency on dust. The ROS a little less, but the 1/4 is almost 100%
So why would I spend that kind of money...

--
Jeff

On 12/9/2013 11:47 AM, woodchucker wrote:

You might start by asking Swingman why he switched from a Bosch ROS to a Rotex.
With dust collection being equal to what you have, the Rotex set to aggressive mode will just about keep up with a belt sander with lots more control.
Take your ROS sander and a rough cut piece of wood to your local Festool dealer and ask to compare the two in your own hands. Use the Rotex in normal and aggressive mode. For some of us time is money.
On 12/9/2013 1:50 PM, Leon wrote:

Ayup ... almost immediately gave the Bosch away, and, until you mentioned it, plumb forgot I indeed have a belt sander, I think?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net