(New subscriber) Latest and greatest tools, and old-time tools

Page 1 of 7
I've just started into woodworking as a result of being fed up with dealing with contractors doing so-so work in my home for a lot of money.
My first project is putting up craftsman style moldings in our upstairs bat h. I've chosen to mill my own wood from rough-sawn pieces, which yielded w ood savings enough to pay for my used Ridgid lunchbox thickness planer and my used Craftsman 6-1/8" jointer. This has turned out to be a good beginne r project as I am learning something I believe is pretty fundamental.
So, first a question: I'm finding that used power tools are a pretty great deal, especially hobbyist-grade, since so many hobbyists only use them ligh tly, or even abandon the hobby before long. Are there any modern tools, ne w ones that are new to the marketplace that are must-haves or really-great- to-haves? Sawstop comes to mind as a good example, IMO. Others?
Second question: I have a secondary interest, beyond just building things f rom wood, in building wooden things by hand - using no, or very few, power tools. Does anyone in the group with experience in old-timey woodworking s uch as this have thoughts or advice? Just to be clear, I'm no reactionary - my interest is in the charm and tradition in the pursuit, not because I t hink power tools are evil - I think they're great. But I'm drawn to this, as is my son, with whom I'm taking up this hobby.
Thanks for your attention, I'm having fun with this so far. At 53 it's ver y cool to learn new things and feel like a kid again :)

If you want cutting edge technology and quality, SawStop is at the top of the list and so is Festool brand power tools. Festool is pricey, 2-3 times more expensive than well known quality tools but very well thought out and the pieces integrate well with each other. Festool power tools could actually replace or eliminate the need for larger stationary power tools. Festoolusa.com

...and now back the regularly scheduled show. ;-)
BTW, I have a few FessteringTools, too. They're certainly more expensive but I don't buy the 2-3x. Probably the most useful FesteringTool is the TeackSaw. The competition is pretty closely priced to the FT. Some tools may approach 2x but even their routers aren't 2x a good quality tool.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

: )

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:38:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I"d consider the Domino as the most useful tool. While the tracksaw is certainly useful, there's several competitors out there to it. The Domino is pretty much unique in the home market when it comes to loose tenons. Not much else out there that is as easy or fast to use.
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:30:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Sure but I didn't use Domino as an example _because_ there isn't any direct competition (there are several jigs). Yet. It's hard to compare the price of something to, um,??? ;-)
But you have a point, I did say the TrackSaw was the most useful. I still think it is but I'm certainly not going to argue that the Domino isn't right there. (You just hit the third and final FesteringTool in my toybox ;).

I think my most surprisingly cool Festool tool is my T15-3 cordless drill. I have not yet stalled it even driving 5/16"x 4" lag screws. I have two impact drivers, Makita and Bosch which I have not used since getting the Festool drill two years ago.
The track saw is great for finish cuts in plywood, the sanders are clean and basically dustless, and of coarse my Domino. I have cut well in excess of 10,000 mortises with it.

Yeah, but you're suffering from a fatal infection of Festool brain disease. Every Festool that you put your hands on immediately infects your central nervous system. The other tools just don't stand a chance.

Oh Nooooooooo!
Seriousely the drills are amazingly strong.
On 12/6/2013 9:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes but most of us don't need to spend that kind of money on a drill. Seriously the op did not ask for the most expensive toys he could buy.
--
Jeff

On 12/6/2013 5:38 PM, woodchucker wrote:

No one needs to, ;~)

Well actually he said,
Are there any modern tools, new ones that are new to the marketplace that are must-haves or really-great-to-haves? Sawstop comes to mind as a good example, IMO. Others?
On 12/6/2013 5:38 PM, woodchucker wrote:

No one needs to, ;~)

Well actually he said,
Are there any modern tools, new ones that are new to the marketplace that are must-haves or really-great-to-haves? Sawstop comes to mind as a good example, IMO. Others?

AAMOF ...
Annual (Inoculation/Booster Shot) meeting of FIG is being planned as we speak.
As you have seen from last years meeting:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aEbT6JNyhT4nTtz_YffNmtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
Mandatory innoculation with the Medical Grade shellac thinner has been scientifically determined to sufficiently mitigate the effects of FBD, with a yearly booster mandatory.
It appears that this years Annual (Inoculation/Booster Shot) meeting will be between Christmas and New Years, more than likely 12/28-29th.
Any wRec'er who will be in the Houston area at that time is hereby invited to attend.
Attendees getting their first shot are required to bring the appropriate Medical Grade (Blanton's, etc) shellac thinner. (Mr Bridges, is requested to provide his DD).
It is rumored that someone may even provide a Gumbo to soften the effects of the inoculation ... ya never know.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/6/2013 9:05 AM, Swingman wrote:

Its Festool season! Get you free FBD shots.

DD?
On 12/6/2013 12:17 PM, Leon wrote:

May I assume they are part of Obamacare, and "FREE"
On 12/6/2013 11:44 AM, knuttle wrote:

Did you not see, Get your "free" FBD shots? LOL You may already be infected.
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:44:44 -0500, knuttle

I never would have thought I'd ever hear "Festool" and "free" in the same sentence.

Well AAMOF.. LOL When I bought my Rotex sander from my local WoodCraft store the Festool rep was in there promoting the product. I was there to buy it anyway but he gave me 2 Festool caps and 2 Festool t-shirts. Good to bring your wife to double up on the give away stuff. ;~)

I feel cheated. I bought my Domino when they had a demo-day. It was totally coincidental that I was there that day. Since the Woodcraft store is an hour away, on the opposite side of Atlanta, we don't get there very often. I didn't get a hat! <snif> Well, I suppose I did get a Coke.

The Domino, CT22 Dust Extractor, and Domino tennon assortment were my first Festool purchases, all at one time. I got squat too.
The Rotex was next, with the free stuff.
Festool finish sander was next, Track saw was next, Drill was next. And nothing. ;~)