New scheme by BORGs?

Page 1 of 3

Going to return a quart of paint to Lowes, I dig out the receipt and noticed they charged me for 2 cans when I only bought 1. Haven't had a chance to discuss this with them yet, but in the meantime, I' gotta return an outside light fixture at HD (cause I found a nicer one at Lowes) and what do my eyes behold, but a charge for 2 of them! Now since I only have one light outside the door, and only one door to the outside (except for sliders w/spots overhead), there's no way I'd a picked up two lights in first place, much less misplaced one between the BORG and home. Going shortly to try to get this straightened out. THis one's more critical since it's $45 rather than the $7 for the paint.
Twice in a short interval at 2 different spots. What the heck's going on here?!?
Renata
Renata wrote:

You're not paying attention at the checkout?
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:19:32 -0500, Duane Bozarth

Ya know, I normally pay rather close attention at the checkout. But, obviously the moment I let my guard down... After spending a fair amount of time picking appliances, and the bulk of the checkout order being the said special order, I probably figured for the additional item I didn't need to have an eagle eye. Silly me.
REnata

It may be just me, but with every purchase I make, just after paying and getting through the checkout, I always go through the receipt line by line to check prices and amounts. I do this when buying tools, food and anything else that took some cash out of my pocket. At least 10% of the time I find something that needs to be corrected. Easy to do then and there.
I dunno. Seems to me if I was overcharged $45 I prolly would have noticed pretty quickly!

Renata wrote: ...

I'm certain it's not a case of deliberate attempt to commit fraud by "the Evil BORG" as your first posting seems to imply...given the number of items rung up by checkers, it's not surprising there are errors and that you happened to have two occurrences in near proximity to each other is simply chance.

Just curious - do the BORGS in your area have those self-checkout aisles? God I hate those things except for a handful of small items. They can get rid of 1.25 positions paying $7.50/hour by shifting the work to me.
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:38:13 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

Yes they have them here as does the supermarket I shop.
I absolutely refuse to use them. At the Borg I just go to the "pro" line, figuring I'm as professional as most of the contractors I've dealt with. Or I check out in the garden center. At the Blue Borg, the lumber line is usually empty.
My attitude is: If I wanted a job as a sales clerk, I'd put in an application.

hmmm... i have the opposite feelings towards them. i figure if they can have one person covering 4 checkouts, i'd be glad to load/unload my cart for 1/3[*] the time waiting in line. I'd have to unload to the belt anyway. There is even a chance (HA!) of the supermarket having lower prices because of lower overhead.
[*] the systems do seem to be slower than normal for checking out sometimes... thus the figure isn't 1/4 as you'd expect.
But you keep going to the sales clerk checkouts... that'll keep my self checkout lines open and we'll both be happy. ;)
--
be safe.
flip
Philip Lewis wrote:

I'm w/ Wes...and I don't punch in the credit card data myself, either...<I'm> the customer, dagnabit!!!

My wife hates *waiting* in line to pay for something... her feeling:"I'm paying, they should open another register." But, I seem to recall that she likes self checkout.
For me, I want to get in the store, get what i want, and get out quickly. If checking myself out instead of waiting behind a line of folks, it's fine with me.
Some folks value being served... I value my time. Just two different perspectives. There is room for both.
--
be safe.
flip
Philip Lewis wrote:

Not for me...since I have no clue how to operate the self-check units and have not intent to learn, there's no sped advantage there. I'm w/ your wife on the additional line when customers are waiting, however. :)
For the most part I go to the locals where I maintain accounts and simply sign the ticket...best of both worlds. Only on rare occasion do I partake of any business w/ which I can't do that--if they don't want to provide the service I expect, then I'll go somewhere that does.
writes:

So how much more now-a-days is the full service pumps?

Depends on where you live. NJ, all the stations must pump for you and they have the cheapest gas around. In MA, each town decides. At the town borers, one side of the street is self serve, the other side is full serve at the same price. Anyone that thinks self serve is a bargain is nuts.

I wouldn't even know where to find a station with full service here in Minnesota. I don't recall seeing one in ages.
I remember in 1994 or so stopping for gas in the middle of the night at a station somewhere in Georgia or Florida. I didn't realize it was full service until the guy came out. The gas was around $1.65 a gallon. (Remember, this was 1994.)
Brian Elfert

For those of you with a few years under your belt, isn't it interesting that "full service" is defined as a station where they pump the gas for you? Even the few times in the last 20 years that I have gone to a "full service" station or pump (like when my left leg was broken and in a cast) I don't recall anyone cleaning my windshield or checking my oil ;-)
I think that one of the best innovations of the last few years was the gas pump card reader.
Dave Hall
I have a Full Service station next to where I work. The first time I used it I was surprised when they cleaned the window and offered to check the oil. I usually use a self serve but once in a while I'm lazy ;)
Bill
wrote in message

Charles Wood wrote:

I was speaking of retail stores, not service stations...but, as others noted, it depends, I find, although I don't go looking for full service stations. Here, I use Farmers' Equity (Co-op) w/ the patron-keyed pumps, so it comes only the monthly bill w/ all the other farm supplies from them...

I can see it would be pointless to explain the irony of people who shop at a DIY store who can't.
Charles Wood wrote:

If you're meaning that as a jibe to me, it's not a case of "can't" but "choose to not participate"...
If I thought there were any attempt to pass on any reduction in cost back to me, I <might> change my attitude, but I see no indication of same. It's mostly a case of being a fossil, I guess... :)