New old lathe. How'd I do?

Walked into Woodcraft in Casselberry (Orlando) today, mainly on a fact finding trip while SWMBO and friend did a mall. Just inside the door was a Delta 46-700 marked "used in class, as is, $249." What should I have done?

What I did was ask if it worked and would they plug it in. They did and it did. No manual, no drive center, no pokes-through-the-drive-spindle-to-knock-out-the-drive-spur-thingy. Well, the manual is available online, the drive center is a #2 MT, same as my Jet Mini, and the p-t-t-d-s-t-k-o-t-d-s-t can be made of most anything.

According to Amazon, the lathe is $479.99 and the stand is another $54.99--total=$534.98.

I hauled out the Visa and hauled 'er outta there. Goodby Craftsman, hello Delta.

Should I be sorry?

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

You da man, LRod! Good score!

BTW: What did SWMBO do when she found out?

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Reply to
Michael Latcha

You will be if you don't get your ass back to the mall to pick up your wife and her friend!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

That's officially known as a pokey-whacky thing.

Yes, you should be sorry because in your suckage you have made those around you feel envious. Envy is bad for the digestion, and you gave a lot of unfortunate victims a belly ache this day.

You suck!

Reply to
Silvan

Now *that's* an expensive class.

Just for the guy who would have been following behind you.

Now LRod, can you fill us in on why your *actually* happy?

hit when you Google Delta 46-700)

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

yeah, you got screwed. that used up 'ol piece of junk is just another boat anchor. tell ya what... just 'cause I'm such a nice guy, I'll get rid of it for you....

Reply to
bridger

I am NOT obsessed with Norm!

[stamping little feet mode off]

Not bad for never submitting the site to the search engines, huh?

Oh, and thank you for visiting my site.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

It popped up and I sat there thinking, "Ain't that LRod's site?"

At dinner the other night (1) we discussed Googling our names. Mine brings up hit number one. Used to be a time when half the first page was me. Now I'm down to the first hit and then I have to go clawing.

Fame is fleeting.

It's always a fun romp.

(1) My boss and my boss's boss were somewhat amazed but it's always kinda freaky like there's this Clark Kent alter ego thing with stuff like Googling your name and the hits are outside the realm of work life. And after all, it has to do with wooddorking so the conversation never goes more than a minute or two.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

UA 100 notes:

At dinner the other night (1) we discussed Googling our names. Mine brings up hit number one. Used to be a time when half the first page was me. Now I'm down to the first hit and then I have to go clawing.

Not long ago, I had thousands of hits on an ego search. Now, four or five commercial bits selling my books (used, mostly), with the first hit being a California preacher man with a Piled Higher & Deeper. Can't hardly find mine, even with scratching.

Unsettling.

Reply to
Charlie Self

LRod posts (on his web site):

Verbification. The act of taking a perfectly good noun, such as disrespect, and using it as a verb. Both ignorant street slang and governmentese are sources of much of this.

What I don't understand, and don't like, is the tendency for the young among us (under 55, say) to jump all over trends from the least admirable bits of our population, and treat them as desirable. Your example is just one, with much of it coming from both directions. I'm about ready to kick the next person who accuses me of "dissing" them right square where all males keep their "roll on the floor and whimper" buttons.

Reply to
Charlie Self

The word is actually "verbing", not "verbification", Charlie.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

"Wellness" always makes me want to punch the utterer.

UA100, who has more but will leave it at that...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

How about we dialog over that...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"Unisaw A100" wrote > "Wellness" always makes me want to punch the utterer.

Which would tend to fix both conditions, eh?

Rick

Reply to
Rick

A) Charlie didn't write that, I did.

2) I made the word up and it's my definition. When you make up words and put them on your webpage you can make your own spelling and definition.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:07:43 +0000, the inscrutable "Luigi Zanasi" spake:

Gerunding?

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

de-noun-cing!!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Sorry. Didn't mean to dis you. OK then, let me rephrase:

The word is actually "verbing", not "verbification", Rod. :)

Just in case: I was being silly. Verbification has been a perfectly good English word since the late 19th century, at least according to my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Sounds about right...used stationary power tools, especially newer models sell for about half of retail. Now, if it had been an older model, like a Delta 1460, $250 would have been a good deal, although they can sometimes be had for less.

Reply to
bigredbarn

Mike Marlow responds: How about we dialog over that...

It'll be so fun.

As someone wrote on a pro writer's forum t'other day.

Reply to
Charlie Self