New Kreg Precision Miter Gage - anyone own one ?

Page 2 of 2
On 3 Jun 2004 11:59:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@vmtw.com (vmtw) stated wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

They're $10-15 higher than other stores.

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/miter_gauges.shtml
P.S: Does "woundering" hurt?
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Scott: I'll be taking a weekend course from Mark Duginske, the inventor of the original gage, and will have the chance to check it out at his shop. If you have more specific questions, send them to me in advance and I'll ask Duginske.
Bob

Sorry, I didnt see your post until this morning. My questions to Mark would be is the Kreg miter gage built to the same high quality standards as the Fasttrack unit was. I know that it is not built exactly the same, but is it as good, or better then the Fasttrack unit. I am very happy with my Kreg Pocket hole jig, and am hoping that their new line of equipment will be of the same high quality.
I live in Iowa and would be interested in hearing your impressions on the woodworking class you took/are taking. Scott
Scott: I'll post a "review" here the week of July 12. Scott, please email your correct addy so I can contact you directly. Thanks,
Bob

I purchased the FastTrak miter gauge off Ebay several months ago because of price (think it was $89 at the time). I had several ongoing debates with myself of "do I really need a new miter gauge" and "FastTrak vs. Woodhaven vs. everything else".
After several months of use I wish I had gone with the Woodhaven primarily because of the weight/mass difference between the two. The FastTrak is truly a precision gauge but it would be much better with a steel slider vs. the aluminum slider it has...too much flex. If the fence/miter head is not supported on the table (i.e., pulled back for cutting a wider board) the weight of the head and fence will flex the whole thing and you'll have some mechinations to do to get it to push through smoothly. If the head of the gauge is not pulled back off the table and you are just cutting smaller width boards then this its better but the weight of the fence (mine is 24") still jerks it around a bit .
After using the standard Delta miter gauge for years its a pleasure to have this much precision but its not as smooth. The Woodhaven is more of what I'm accustomed to and that would be my first choice even at an additional $50. No affiliation, but I've been wanting to put in a plug for the Woodhaven folks...this is a top-notch group of people. I always stop by when I'm driving on I-80 through Iowa. They have good products and go to great lengths to support what they sell (as does Prairie River).
snipped-for-privacy@vmtw.com (vmtw) wrote in message