anyone use a "Kreg tool"

Thinking of buying a Kreg Tool. I'm just starting to make my first cabinet and thought it would make the job a little easier. Any comments?

Reply to
Sonny

I've been using one the Kreg pro pack for about 6 months now and absolutely love it! Certainly a handy device to have in your workshop. Check out my review of the product at

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
5 Reviews:

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener

- Miller Dowel System

- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels

- Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

Woodman

I've had one for a couple of years now. Very handy! I've used it on cabinets, face frames, even home contruction. I have the previous model to the current one. I think the current looks even better than the one I have. I highly recommend it. It won't solve all your problems, but it's sure handy when you need it!

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Love my Kreg stuff! I don't recall anyone saying a bad word about the Kreg system. You can't go wrong with one. Be sure to get an assortment of screws so any project you tackle with it will go together well.

dave

S> Thinking of buying a Kreg Tool. I'm just starting to make my first cabinet

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
""Nobody"

I bought mine at the first woodworking show I went to and it's great.

Reply to
MarcColten

Reply to
Matt Zach

Reply to
Phisherman

I bought the Kreg Rocket Jig about a month ago to help in making cabinets for the first time. Now that I'm finished, I just couldn't even imagine that there exists a simpler joining technique. Biscuit joining, with the associated gluing and clamping, would be a nightmare compared to how easy pocket holes made assembly (and how strong as well). I got a little "pocket hole happy" and used them to put the carcasses together, the face frames together, and the face frames to the carcass!

DW

Reply to
Denver Woody

Great tool. I just built some steps from 2 X lumber with it so that there are no screws showing.

Ted

Reply to
Bigpole

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Reply to
darrell darcy

I've had one since April and haven't used it yet. I guess I should dig it out and put it to work.

Reply to
Wilson

I use the Kreg Jig so often that I buy the screws in boxes of five thousand.

In constructing the case goods that make up the majority of my business they are invaluable in that they reduce the number of clamps that I have to use. This is beneficial in at least two ways: it keeps down the clamp inventory needed to complete projects and it is a great help to not have fifty pounds of clamps holding together a carcass, that must then be moved to make way for the next assembly.

In conjunction with biscuits, it forms the basis of all my case construction, as well as being the preferred method of joining up face frames.

On cheaper work, I use biscuits and pocket screws to join up drawer boxes. This works well in the instance where a five piece drawer is called for. The pocket holes are only visible on the back of the drawer and the applied drawer front covers the other holes.

Cabinet Modification (def. Screwups) is another area where the jig excels. On that all too often encountered situation where the new refrigerator demands that we cut down the old cabinet above, it is possible to cut the cabinet down on the tablesaw and rejoin the pieces with biscuits and pocket screws. The doors may also be cut apart, the bevel of the raised panel sawn off, the field cut, and the bevels rejoined using pocket screws and biscuits - accomplishing in the field what would normally require a trip back to the shop.

When fitting out a stock kitchen the fillers can be applied with pocket screws which avoids the necessity of drilling through the frame.

In the installation of custom work the pocket screws can be used in conjunction with a modular approach to construction in a way that allows you to join together a long wall of units without penetrating the finished surfaces.

Pocket Screws - "How do I love thee - let me count the ways."

(But there simply isn't enough time.)

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

What place has the best price for the screws?

Sincerely, Bill Thomas

Reply to
Bill Thomas

I was following along real good till I got to this one...

How are you do Snipped excellent ideas and suggestions

Reply to
Pat Barber

Good Morning, Pat:

A typical detail on the wall units that I build is the use of fluted pilasters between the individual carcasses and on the ends that meet the walls.

On kitchen cabinets, you usually just screw through the frame and cap the screw - the doors and drawer fronts hide capped screw hole.

In cabinetry without doors to hide the fasteners i.e. bookcases, it's a little nicer to use the pocket screws. The end pilasters can be demounted and scribed in the field.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Okey Dokey... I thought it was somthing along those lines but thanks for clearing it up. Pocket holes are a wondeful thing.

Tom Wats> A typical detail on the wall units that I build is the use of fluted

Reply to
Pat Barber
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Where do you get them, Tom. I need a good supply again.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

Reply to
Trent©

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey