New hobby. (woodworking related on many levels: building a bar.)

Page 1 of 2
Project scope: 8 Apartments, to be fully renovated. Bar and restaurant on the Front Street side. Retail space and Tea-room on the Christina Street side. This building is a city block long and spans 2 addresses on two different streets, but are connected legally as one property. (Really nice when you start counting fire escapes etc.) My part is to build a bar with celtic carvings and architectural features. Signage outside with corbels and fluted columns with capitals and corniches. I am working from a bunch of photos from Ireland.
What it is now. These piccies were taken by Google Maps. http://tinyurl.com/33ysuf9 That is where the bar/restaurant will be.
This is the Christina Street entrance which will have 2 retail spaces. http://tinyurl.com/38uhyty
This is how far we got in 2 days..LOL
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/150F.jpg
The entire area is going through a resurrection with major money being spent on cultural stuff.
Up until last year, the difference between Downtown Sarnia and a bowl of yoghurt was that the yoghurt has an active, living culture.
More to come.
Add pictures here
✖

Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/150front.jpg
Add pictures here
✖

I know the brick was already painted, but it's still a shame. I bet there's a lot of hidden detail under the paint.
Do you get free "drinking rights" for life? R
Add pictures here
✖

Are you putting the ugly yellow on?
Or are you taking it off?
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 20, 1:12 pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Smartypans!
That's NICE yellow. You'll see the whole statement when the signs and all that are in place. Lots of oranges and greens to come.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote

Smartypans!
That's NICE yellow. You'll see the whole statement when the signs and all that are in place. Lots of oranges and greens to come.
Orange? And you said an "Irish" pub?
Add pictures here
✖

Green, white and orange... Irish flag since 1919.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:12:01 -0400, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

<chortle>
I'm wondering how any sign he makes for that can compete with the new paint (blowme) job.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

If that's culture, I'll pass, thanks. Eek!
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
✖

It kills me to look at it. Guaranteed there's multi-colored brick under the paint, and check out the pilasters running up the face of the building and on either side of each window. They've got this cool serpentine thing going on. The brickwork on that building is flipping art, and somebody _wallpapered_ over it! I'd use Peel Away Smart Strip and take it down to the original and then not have to worry about painting it again. http://www.peelaway.com/smart-strip.htm
Sorry, Roba - I realize you inherited it painted, but it strikes me the same way that you'd feel if someone painted over the celtic carvings you're planning to do on the bar. It's architectural sacrilege.
✖
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:03:53 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Perhaps, but some of the old ca1870 buildings around here are so unstable that the mortar and bricks themselves are eroding. Paint may be the only thing holding that building _up_!
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
✖

Are you close to salt water and earth quakes?
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 05:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Within 50 miles of the ocean, with the coastal range in between. And we're in a quake area, but none has hit in eons.
The work I was doing on one such building was -inside-, though. They had me paint the disintegrating bricks and mortar with a thick, clearish emulsion. It reminded me of the lovely and popular polyurinestain products.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
✖

BTDT... We formed a consortium and renovated 6 store-fronts downtown Toronto. Same idea. Gutted most of them. Lead water lines, asbestos insulation FUN! Abatemen fees were staggering. (We did see that coming though, so no surprises) This place, however, won't even take a tapcon drill bit easily in the perfectly pointed mortar. No worries there. The wood around the windows is another story, but after doing a LOT of those in Rochester NY, I feel no intimidation by that problem. The brick inside needs to be cleaned and re-pointed in some areas. I love this kinda shit...
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:02:21 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Isn't that ridiculous? Given that only 10% of all asbestos ever produced was the nasty sort and that most people wear masks around anything dusty, the class action lawsuits (here, how about there?) and gov't regulation on these things just sicken me.

I wouldn't mind repointing decent brick 'n mortar, but this was like styrofoam in places. Coulda been limeless mortar back then. And someone may have cooked their own bricks, but the building is still standing. I wouldn't live there. Uh, uh!
Soooo, where's the pic of the sign, eh, hoser?
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
✖

You mind if I design, cut, have it painted and hung first? LOL
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/21/10 12:46 PM, Robatoy wrote:

What, you don't have a SketchUp rendering?
By the way, SketchUp is the best CAD program ever.
--

-MIKE-

✖

SketchUp works. . . . . so does a crayon. g,d&r
Add pictures here
✖

Do they have good crayons in Canada? <G>
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/21/2010 3:29 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

From someone who had to learn to read before he figured out how NOT to paint the sky green and the grass pink ... what's a "good" crayon to you?
I would say that the only good crayon is the one that has the color written on it. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010