New Grizzly jointers

Has anyone had experience with the new Grizzly 8" jointers manufactured in mainland China? I'm looking at either the G0593 or the G0586 model. Thanks

Reply to
Ray Durney

Several people on the Woodnet forum have them and like them. Mine's on order. The price on the 586 goes up at the end of this month.

TT

Reply to
TT

Any ideas how much it'll go up? I was in this same situation last year at Christmas time with my 1023SL. Order now or pay more next week type thing. Given the G0500 was up around $800 I suspect this one will jump to that point as well but just guessing. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

On Tue 27 Dec 2005 08:09:26a, TT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've got the 586 and like it. So far I've only run about 50 bf of walnut through it. The boards were all five feet long or longer and it was really easy. After years with a little vintage sears 4-incher I thought there'd be more of a trick to it. Very serious piece of machinery.

There was a rumor that the beds on these weren't stress relieved, but it turned out actually be a rumor. :-)

You can get more if you search on "G0586" at google groups. The 586 especially has been much discussed.

Reply to
Dan

I actually found it.....appears the unit itself is going up around $30. Shipping however is jumping around $50. So total increase after 12/31 would be in the neighborhood of $80. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Woodnet forum? How do I find it?

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

I've had one for about 6 weeks. It replaced my Grizzly 6". Only have run about 40 bd ft of hard maple through it. Works great. I had to reset 2 of the knives.

STRONG Hint when assembling: Hook up the motor wiring BEFORE you mount the jointer to the base. That way you can turn the base upside down and actually see what you are doing. I followed the steps in the manual and mounted the jointer first. Then had to wire the motor laying on my back looking through a mirror. 5 minute job turned into an hour.

-jj

Reply to
JJ

On Tue 27 Dec 2005 10:01:45p, "Kyle Boatright" wrote in news:sYWdnfQXjrm6ky snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Type "woodnet" into google, and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

Reply to
Dan