Opinions on Grizzly Jointers?

Hey all. I'm looking at 6" X 47" Grizzly Jointers.

Good, bad, I'm very interested in hearing some owners opinions.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Cox West

I've had the G1018 8x65 jointer for around three years. Eats anything I throw at it and has been accurate and stable. The only thing I'd change is to get the one with handwheel adjusters rather than the levers.

Russ

Reply to
WoodMangler

Have one, is good! The tables were coplanar right out of the box, the levers worked smoothly, etc etc.

I recently got their 8" segmented jointer because I needed something bigger. If you happen to live in NH you can come visit, see them both, and maybe buy the 6" one from me? ;-)

Oh, the 8" one was also coplanar right out of the box. Assemble it, plug it in, start using it.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Good, bad, I'm very interested in hearing some owners opinions.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Ron Short

Too long of a commute, I'm in Cleveland. Thanks for the feedback, hope to see more of it here. Really helps in the decision making process.

Dave

Reply to
Cox West

I have the 6 x 47 and it has been great. The only two things I'd change is hand wheels instead of levers like mentioned above and I wish the tables were longer. But you almost have to go to an 8" to get that, which is a really good idea if you can afford it. Hope that helps BC

Reply to
BC

A Griz 8" jointer may be my tax return toy next year. Why are handwheels better? I have low-end chinese 6" now. It has wheels but I generally dont touch them. Set it and forget it.

What am I missing?

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I have their 12 inch jointer and am very happy with it. Like others have said the surface is so flat the boards suction to it. Bigger is better when it comes to jointers if you have the room IMHO.

Schroeder

Reply to
Schroeder

I have the 6"X47" Grizzly Jointer with hand wheels. I like the hand wheels, but have never used one with levers. So I really don't which one is better. The jointer works great. The only thing that I wish was that it was bigger. Think of it like a house. The thing is never going to wear out. So look at the biggest or nicest that you can afford and then buy one step higher. The additional cost is cheaper than trading it in later.

Good, bad, I'm very interested in hearing some owners opinions.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
chrisacorbett

=========================== I have used Jointers that used levers and that used wheels... It really makes no difference although I much prefer levers I would not let the difference be a factor If I were buying a new one today... just not an issue...

My 6' in Rockwell has served me extremely well over the last 40 or so years and in general I feel that Jointers have very few parts that could wear out...so I an not sure one brand would be that much better then another... Give me a long bed over a couple of extra inches in width ...Unless I could afford both ..

Bob Griffiths. .

Reply to
Bob G.

Today, I moved the new G0543 into my basement workshop and opened the box. I was very pleased to confirm that now the 8" x 75" table is done without the 5" cast iron extensions. Once I will have it assembled, I can share my experiences with real wood.

Grizzly web site and many GRizzly eployees are still claiming that the extensions are required, but there are several evidences that all G0500 and G0543 models haveben shipping without the extension since last summer. Perhaps we will see the corrections in 2005 catalog.

Cheers, Ollie

Reply to
Ollie

Hey DJ Did you sell that 6" Grizzly jointer? I live in NH and I'm looking to start a woodworking shop. If you still have it' I'd be interested in the details Thanks

Jim

Reply to
jim_d61