New DeWalt planer

Your shop is only 10" wide Jimbo? Must be pretty cramped. No wonder you are always in such a bad mood over in CSMA.

I'm sure he meant 10' wide by 16" long. Much more reasonable-
Perfect for making dowels, for instance
;->
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com
I don't know 10" dowels are fine for most applications. Puff

It seems like a trash can with a seperator lid connected to a shop vac with a HEPA filter would serve well with this planer. Planers produce mostly large chips with relatively small amounts of the dangerous fine dust. If the planer blower has the omph to eject the chips into the trash can seperator, the Shop Vac should be adequate for catching the relatively small amount of fine dust that comes through. This is a lot cheaper than a full DC system and if you are primarily a Neader, a Shop Vac with a HEPA filter (and perhaps the disposable drywall dust bags for easy emptying) is probably enough for most of your needs anyway.
--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

There are no "mostly large chips". My DW735 creates only fine, thin chips...maybe 10 times the size of a flake of black pepper and dust. 96 & 179 cpi makes for _very_ thin chips AND a fine, talc-like dust. (the dangerous fine dust you mention) The built-in chip blower and my home-made cloth cover over a trashcan does a good job of collecting all of the chips and most of the dust. Some day I'll try the seperator lid as you suggest. Would make dumping the chips easier.

Oh yeah, it has lots of omph all right. Without any collection attached, it will blow chips/dust clear down my driveway (about 20-25'?) Great if you want to mulch the yard as you plane your stock!

I think their optional cloth chip collection trashcan cover would have been a real good deal but, being a cheap SOB, I figured I could make my own. Mine works well enough but I would like to see how theirs works. At $50-65, I doubt I saved myself much. If I had it to do over, I'd spend the $ and get their optional one.
DexAZ