New Civil War postage stamps

"Taxation without representation" was the issue. I can't see where having representation makes much difference though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It wasn't about taxes, rather representation. The FF really *wanted* to be treated as Englishmen rather than property.

Reply to
krw

But then, you'd have abandoned slavery 30 years earlier without a massive murderous civil war. :-)

Luigi

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

I'm not a grammarian. I used them above because I was calling attentions to the fact that it was a "figure of speech"--not to be taken literally. According to Wikipedia:

punctuation marks at the beginning and end of a quotation, direct speech, literal title or name. Quotation marks can also be used to indicate another sense or meaning of words, phrases or parts of text by which one wants the reader to interpret the statement or text than the one initially suggested, such as to convey irony.

In that generality, I don't find I'm "coloring outside the lines". I used them to add my own emphasis sometimes. My usage may be more common in the sciences where we "stretch definitions" at our leisure, and emphasize when we are doing so. The thoughtful reader will figure out why the quotation marks are present.

I feel that if you give a youngster some of these postage stamps than you will have given them the *wrong* message. A little like giving them fast food to eat (that is almost-always unhealthy). I'm not planning to purchase any commemorative civil war stamps for my own collection or usage. And as you can tell, I've run my own campaign against them right here and gained further insight in the process. Thank you for listening and writing.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The stamps *damn-near validate a crime against humanity (IMNSHO)*!!!

Maybe they will come out with a Charles Manson commemorative package, after he passes. Put some "fake LSD" on the back... ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thurgood Marshall, Jr., whose late father was the first black to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court, visited Charleston Tuesday to unveil two new postage stamps commemorating the start of the Civil War. Marshall, a Washington lawyer who serves on the U.S. Postal Service?s board of governors, said he was honored to be back in Charleston to mark the 150th anniversary of the firing on Fort Sumter, "an event that we all know changed the course of our history." "Since the founding of our country, Americans have wrestled with fundamental questions about the scope of freedom," he said, "and we know that nothing short of our survival as a nation was at stake during the Civil War." Standing before the enlarged images of two stamps depicting Fort Sumter ablaze and the Battle of Bull Run in northern Virginia, Marshall said the stamps not only will help bind the country together but also celebrate the example that the United States offers every nation. "Today, many issues remain unresolved by this uniquely American war," he said, "yet one universal truth remains, and that is that we truly are one nation of free men and free women."

Just Wondering

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Only one: the South lost the war.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

When I first saw this thread I wasn't sure it was about the coming war resulting from our leaders taking us into a bottomless pit of debt and decay, or the one that happened 150 years ago... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Huh? What does one have to do with any of the others in this sentence?

Reply to
krw

Kinda like tools? ;-)

Reply to
krw

And they say that southerners are passionate about that war :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It's too bad I'm not a mail carrier--I might mark some letters "Return To Sender", along with a diatribe about why I wouldn't deliver them. ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Maybe that's why my mail service is TOTALLY BAD.... it's a conspiracy at the sorting center best I can tell.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

You're not using those "LOVE" stamps, are you? ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Why? Do you think love is a crime against humanity, too? ;-)

Reply to
krw

In 1833, the UK Parliament passed the Slavery Abolition Act, effectively resulting in the abolition of Slavery in the British empire.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

I think it's all the magazines and catalogs with scary sharp stuff in them.... could be used to take over planes, trains, and buses you know.... Had the same problem when I was swapping mail and packages with folks on 2nd Amendment issues when I was in grad school... with the guys that built the cases that made it to SCOTUS. Ever receive packages that had clearly been submerged in water, or at a minimum been "damaged" in shipping? Mangled or lost computer disks, books, academic journals, VHS tapes... it was crazy. We laughed about it but it was annoying... Now it's a major pain as it involves all types of mail, not just packages.

What's that old tag line about "just because you are paranoid doesn't mean it isn't true." ;~)

It's happening at the sorting center!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Still adds no sense to your post, other than perhaps the 30 years snipe. The Civil war was *not* about slavery. That it ended it was perhaps one of the only worthwhile side effects, however.

Reply to
krw

Trust me, you have not seen bad mail service! In Portland Oregon the other day a mail carrier took a dump in some guy's side yard. Yes, really!

Lobby Dosser