New Civil War postage stamps

Page 4 of 6

Most collectors collect things because that's what they do. A stamp collector isn't going to collect stamps that commemorate the Civil War because they commmemorate the Civil War, any more than he would collect an upside down airplane because he has an interest in inverted flight (if you don't know "upside down airplane" google it with "stamp" on the end). He would collect them because they are stamps that he doesn't have in his collection.

Kinda like tools? ;-)
What an idiot.
Nuff said.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

All the room I left for you to express an alternative viewpoint and that is all you could come up with? Go buy some stamps!

I think idiot says it all.
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

troll.
Troll? You are truly an idiot. I am on here all the time making relevant (and occasionally intelligent) postings and replies. Here is the first sentence of the definition of "Troll (Internet)" from wikipedia... sound familiar.
"In Internet slang, a troll is a user who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]"
I'd like to upgrade my "idiot" comment to asshole at this time.

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I don't think it's fair for you to assess yourself. In this case, you acted like an idiot (or a troll--I don't discriminate). Either way, please go brighten up someone else's life! Go collect stamps, maybe.
Bill

Based on that definition you are both trolls, as are most of us. Personally, I think weak interpretation of "trolls" is like calling everyone you disagree with a racist, bigot or homophobe. Neither of you are trolls, and in fact, I can't say I've met a real troll in this group, although my suspicions have been occasionally aroused.
--
Jack

Perhaps you should be embarrassed. You don't celebrate, you commemorate. You also learn history and, hopefully, gain enough knowledge so you don't repeat it.
I'll be sure to buy and save some of the stamps to pass on a bit of history so my grandkids can learn from it too.
Our lives are shaped by the thoughts, speech, and actions of others we come across, both in life and in history. The people on both side were passionate about their reasons to fight. If you study the war and the participants, you can become a better person with better views of how to live with your fellow man. Read some of the letters from the soldiers to their families. You don't see such eloquence today.
You are missing so much.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think the stamps send the wrong message. Certainly putting civil war generals on the stamps sends the wrong message (IMO). Put some bloody cotton bales on the stamps instead!

I haven't neglected learned a little about it. That's how I got my present understanding--certainly not from the popular culture. I'm not a know-it-all. I'm closer to being the opposite. I just know what I know, and I'm taking it from there. Most people appear to be apathetic (about it). Analogous to this, virtually everyone commenting about Lew's price of gas posts commented with regard to how it would affect him or her directly. I have read some of the letters you referred to and I am not ambivalent about how I feel about the civil war. You don't need to visit a battlefield to find eloquence. One reason you don't find the same sort of eloquence these days is that the recipient no longer has to wait on the pony express to receive message. The cost of postage has gone way down(look at my cost of delivering this message)!
You still think I am "missing so much" (you are, of course, entitled to your opinion)?
Bill
Bill wrote: Analogous to this, virtually everyone commenting about Lew's price

I rescind this. But, IIRC, alot of them were in this category.

Bill, if you are advocating not using The American Civil War on stamps, then you should also be advocating not using any detail of the Civil War, nor any mention of any conflicts with the first residents of America in any movie. Hollywood has survived a lot by using stories of battles between our ancestors. How many movies have there been made which depict the American Civil War ? Frankly Bill, you don't give a damn
George W Frost wrote:

That was Scarlett, not me. I don't give a damn about Hollywood. I'll take a bird and a tree in a green meadow or a fish in pure water over a movie anyday. Are you a movie director, or something--what is this Hollywood thing? I care more about nature which evidently is in need of my support more than the civil war. Lots of folks act like the Earth is theirs to do with as they please when, at least from my point of view, they are only guests... Mr. George, what do you stand for?
Bill

You were the one who complained about the Civil War stamp issue Bill then I said there were movies about the Civil War, so why protest about stamps without complaining about the movies ?
George W Frost wrote:

I guess it would depend on the movie. You have to "choose your battles"! ; )
Bill

You seem to be an intelligent and educated person, but you just have some sort of hang up on the Civil War or commemorative postage stamps. I'm sure that many will look at this sad history in the wrong way, but it is an opportunity to teach what NOT to do if handled properly.
On 4/14/2011 6:01 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, I have a "hang up" about hate and greed and, in particular, the civil war. Maybe it's just a (my) personal problem? SamanthaProducts sure thinks so.

Yes, One needs to wonder which side they are on when they put civil war generals on their stamps. Opportunity lost. Discussing it (here) is good though.
Bill
says...

"They" are on the side of making money for the postal service. Commemorative stamps are not about deciding whether the events depicted are "good" or "bad", they are about whether they will sell or not.
You do understand that the whole point of a commemorative stamp is that the collector puts it in a stamp album and the postal service never has to deliver the service that the purchaser paid for do you not?
On 4/14/2011 12:42 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I surely agree with your first point (making money) and your second point is a special case of that, though, admittedly, I wasn't thinking of that strategy.