Boris's New War

Will this sybaritic, party animal start a hopelessly misguided and perilous war against Russia just to keep his job? A war is probably the only thing that can save him at this point, but surely even he wouldn't stoop that low. Would he?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Although Mr Johnson likes to think of himself as Churchill reincarnated he should think carefully to avoid a case of history repeating. After the start of the Second World War, the then sitting prime minister was quickly booted out in favour of somebody more suitable. He's currently the Chamberlain, not the Churchill.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Little risk, I'd have said. Wouldn't that actually involve him in getting off his arse and doing some organising? Instead of flouncing from photo op to photo op, and waffling.

Reply to
newshound

Good point! You definitely don't want anyone so gaff-prone as a wartime leader. Fingers crossed he works that one out before doing anything rash...

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

More accurately, chamber pot.

Reply to
Richard

What one needs to remember about Russia, if you look through their history, they have a great deal of insecurity, almost embedded in their make up and hence have always liked to know that their neighbours are not going to turn to their enemies at the drop of a hat. Also, there are a lot of ethnic Russians who settled in the Ukraine and as such the country has had a kind of split personality. I'd hope that the mere threat of another war there might make all sides pause for thought, but sadly there are fanatics, like the ones who decided to take the tanks into part of the Ukraine before against Putins wishes and he had to work hard to try to salvage something from that mess, The Crimea on the other hand was I think supported by a good deal of the ethnic Russians and also had the advantage that Russia got its deep water port back. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The UK doesn't have the clout, or the permission to start a war. With anyone. And despite the circus at the top, they know it too. SO rather than be exposed (remember what Suez did for the UK) as a busted flush, what better way than a new instalment of that perennial psychodrama. No, not "The Crown", but "The Tory Party".

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Only an absolute madman would think the UK has armed forces that could stand up against Russia for more than five minutes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Or be allowed to use them (see: Suez).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well it's not really about the UK - more NATO. Which IIUC (unlikely) is Russia's beef with the whole situation, and Ukraine's potential membership.

But of course NATO seems to be shifting feast in terms of who engages and how, so weird times ahead I expect.

Reply to
RJH

I think that's just a pretext, personally.

I've lived all my life under the shadow of the Russian bear one way or another. Weather to follow.

(When the storm of 1987 woke me at around 2am to a blacked out city and static on the radio and a dead telephone line, for a sneeze of time I thought the bomb(s) had fallen. I guess having made my peace then, this is just a bonus 35 years and counting :) )

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We gave the Russians certain solemn undertakings re eastward expansion of NATO after the old USSR collapsed and have broken them all. It's hardly surprising the Russians feel threatened.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It is very unlikely that Biden wouldn't allow them in this case.

Reply to
5tft

Does this mean you don't believe in the rights of a country within an alliance etc to make up its own mind in the future?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

We need to stick to our commitments already made and reject any application from states such as Ukraine to join NATO. Biden and Boris need to stop poking the f****ng bear already.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Why?

Reply to
Richard

Why reject applications? The west has integrity? That's rich.

Reply to
Richard

Some begged you to leave too.

Which goes to show we like meddling in other's affairs less that you lot.

You've got troops stationed in many parts of the world, meddling in other's business. It's typically hypocritical of you to blame everyone else.

Reply to
Fredxx

As usual you show ignorance in virtually your every post. Either denial or ignorance, take your pick:

"The ADF currently has several forces deployed to the Middle East. The ADF's contribution to the Military intervention against ISIL makes up the largest overseas commitment with 780 personnel deployed as part of Operation Okra. As of December 2017, six F/A-18F Super Hornets, one E-7A Wedgetail and one KC-30A tanker were deployed to strike Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria. Approximately 300 personnel were deployed to Iraq as part of an international effort to provide training to the Iraqi security forces and a further 80 were in the country as part of a Special Operations Task Group.[47] At this time the Super Hornets were scheduled to return to Australia without replacement during January

2018.[48] Deployments in Afghanistan number 270 personnel in Operation Highroad, a non-combat training mission supporting the Afghan National Army. A frigate is also deployed to the Middle East in maritime security operations in and around the Gulf of Aden as part of the Combined Maritime Forces. Small parties of Australian personnel also form part of peacekeeping missions in Israel, Jordan, Egypt and Sudan. The ADF has a further 500 personnel based in the Middle East to support operations in the region.[46]

The ADF continues to play a role in the United Nations Command in Korea via commanding the UNC-Rear logistics element in Japan.[49][50] As part of Operation Argos, warships and aircraft have also been periodically deployed to North Asia since 2018 to contribute to the enforcement of sanctions against North Korea.[51]

Australian military units are also deployed on operations in Australia's immediate region. As of December 2017, 500 personnel were deployed on Australia's northern approaches in maritime security operations, forming Operation Resolute. ADF units undertake periodic deployments in the South China Sea and South West Pacific.[46] Since October 2017 over 80 Australian soldiers have been deployed to the Philippines to provide training for the Armed Forces of the Philippines.[52] RAN patrol boats and RAAF maritime patrol aircraft have also been deployed to the Philippines. This deployment may involve the Australian Secret Intelligence Service, and form a continuation of secretive ADF counter-terrorism operations in the Middle East.[53][54] "

Reply to
Fredxx