OT Energy prices

If pretending to sell 100% green energy but actually obtain most of it from gas/coal the companies pay to "offset" it. Apparently the cost of these mythical offsets has rocketed with the price of gas.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't think they "offset" it as such, but most customers on 100% green tariffs think that at every instant, the electricity they are getting is green.

Whereas in reality the green energy retailers buy enough energy from the wind/solar generators over the course of 12 months to cover all those customers' usage for that 12 months.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't understand the system, but I think there is more to it than that.

This says something

but another link says ROCS have been replaced by Contracts for Difference (CfD) which, I thought, used to be something completely different.

Reply to
newshound

It's all bollocks anyway as all actual suppliers are connected to the same grid.

Reply to
Tim Streater

+1
Reply to
ARW

Yes cos in reality, energy you buy does not seem to be selectable. This multi tier system I think has got to end so we buy directly and stuff the middle men. I have, as you know got a smart meter, they say it will help make energy greener, but what they want to do is directly control the price you pay on an hourly basis, so that you can never budget for your energy, Folk like me who set a price for some years must get them very frustrated. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You may find that when your fixed price contract ends you will find it difficult or impossible to find another fixed price contract that is economical. Suppliers have already factored in the expected price rises and the cost of clawing back their current losses.

Reply to
alan_m