Gate automation

I've recently found the appropriate tuit and renovated the wrought iron gates on the drive. Now I want to automate the gates (a pair of 1.8m wide gates weighing 75kg each) but the prices of some of the off-the-peg automation kits are - ahem - surprising so I'm wondering whether there could be a DIY solution. I'm only just starting the search for info, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has already done this or has some ideas.

Reply to
nothanks

Full kits on ebay seem to be in the region of £180 per gate...

What kind of price point were you aiming at?

Reply to
John Rumm

Do they slide or swing. I remember being mildly amused many years ago by a system that used some kind of underground cord in a loop to open and close gates, but I'd guess most don't have such systems. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The ones I'd seen were £800-£2k+ for the two gates but, unusually for me, I hadn't looked on eBay. At the start I'd assumed I'd build something around a couple of hydraulic rams or (maybe) garage door closers, but I'm not short of other things nagging for my time (too many part-finished jobs) so it's worth paying a few hundred to speed things up. I'm not sure I'd risk the super-cheapies from China, but the Italian ones might be a reasonable bet. Thanks for waking me up. It would be great to hear from someone who had used these cheaper kits.

Reply to
nothanks