new bandsaw up and cutting

I finished putting my new bandsaw together this afternoon Its a King 1433 with the riser kit. The hardest part in putting it together was getting the grease or whatever off the table.

I have Mark D's Bandsaw book and followed that for setting up the saw.

Given that my previous bandsaw is a sears 3 wheel with max cut of 3" and cannot get decent tension on the blade, I have limited comparison to the new saw.

for my first few cuts I cut a 3/4" scrap of plywood into curved shapes. the cut edges were fairly smooth. The saw does not vibrate I cut a 2" * 8" * 3/4" pc of maple into sheets of 1/8" They came out pretty consistent Then I cut more maple that was 8"*10"*3/4 into sheets of 1/8" the first two were pretty consistent, the 3rd was thin on the upper part where it was not supported by the fence.

I think it will be lumber for my son's train set.

The cut faces were all less than smooth, but I expected that. The biggest or most prominent ripples seem to be where I paused or changed feed speed. After each cut I put a straight edge on the cut face and they are relatively flat Each time I took another pass, I put the cut side beside the fence.

I am not using the blade that came packed with it, but one that the dealer gave me (he makes them on site)

For my intial go with this saw, it is performing as expected. I'm sure I've got experience to build in both cutting and tuning,

Is my approach to cutting correct or are there some suggestions that can be offered?

As an aside, swiobo (she who is occasionally obayed) maks things from driftwood and branches - sometimes logs, suggested that we buy this bandsaw for our anniversary present - so this time I obayed ...

Gotta go ... I was just reminded of some shelves that I said I couldn't make because of the curved cuts per guess who's drawings ....

Reply to
Matt

Now you know *why* she wanted you to get it!

Reply to
Norman D. Crow