new and want to make furnature

Page 2 of 2

One must first learn to spell "furniture"

Make bevels with a table saw blade tilted or a router. Both can be dangerous if not used correctly.

No, not enough rpm's.

Have your local glass shop do this. Consider safety glass especially if you have kids.
stryped (in snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com) said:
| I am kind of new to woodworking. Would like to make a small | entertainment center. (More like a table the tv sets on with doors | on the bottom. | | I have a table saw. Never used a router. Is that what you use to | bevel the edges on a cabinet door?
It's one of the tools that can be used. You can also use a saw, jointer, or plane.
| Another dumb question, can I just use a router bit in my drill | press?
Yes - just not for routing (I used a straight plunge bit to drill clean holes before I found lipped brad-point drill bits.)
| Also, If I wanted to use glass in the door, what can you use to cut | it without breaking it? Where can you buy glass?
Bzzzt! You cut glass by scoring, then _breaking_ it. You can buy glass at <drum roll> glass stores, lumber yards, and hardware stores.
| Sorry for allt he questions. I have worked with wood and refinished | several things but never built anythign really from scratch.
The questions to be sorry for are the ones you didn't ask. A word of warning: the more you build, the better you'll probably become. About the same time that you build something beautiful, you'll discover that woodworking (especially building from scratch, and most especially when the design is your own) can be terribly addictive.

I strongly recommend reading some good books on woodworking. There are lots of basic ways to use tools and lots of common techniques that have evolved because they are effective. If you don't learn good skills and techniques, both for designing and building, you'll probably waste an awful lot of time and money and maybe injure yourself. For me, the more I know the more fun woodworking is.
The router is probably the easiest way to bevel edges, though there are other methods. Router bits in drill presses don't work very well. Not recommended. As for the glass, look in the phone book for glass shops. Every town has at least one. They will cut and finish to spec.

Yes.
Router bits (~20,000 rpm) are not designed for the slow speed of a drill press.

You can use a glass cutter. Work on a perfectly flat surface, clean the glass, moisten it with kerosene, use a straight edge, score, and snap. Use 220 grit sandpaper to take off the sharp edges. If you don't want to do this yourself, look up "glass" in the yellow pages--it is low cost to have someone cut it for you.

Quote: I am kind of new to woodworking. Would like to make a small entertainment center. (More like a table the tv sets on with doors on the bottom.
I have a table saw. Never used a router. Is that what you use to bevel the edges on a cabinet door? [/quote]
I am also quite new to building furniture, a set of "text book" style books that I found that have been invaluable. Fine Woodworking by Taunton Press, check one of the large chain book stores. I dont sell them but they will help with some basics.[/quote]

The TV stands from the big box stores have doors on the bottom OK for some stuff, but I made drawers and find them to be much more useful. Full slides allows the drawer to come all the way out so nothing can get lost in the back. I made them deep enough to hold a CD or DVD case standing on edge.
Take a look at the one on my web page if you want an idea. It is oak plywood top and sides but the face frame and drawer fronts are solid oak. The top has a 1 1/2" border of oak around it for the edging. If you look at the sides, it looks sort of lake a panel. I did that just to break of the look of a slab of plywood. It is 1/3" think oak.
I have a router mounted in a table to do the drawer edges. I use that 99% of the time; rarely use the hand held router.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/