Neighbor's Wood-Burning

No. I am in Ontario, Canada.

I guess I remind you of somebody?

John

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

Caution everyone.....do not move to Kansas. We burn the prairies every Spring for brush control & to maintain the quality of grass. Folks from the cities move out to the "beautiful" spaces complain about all the burning, get a lawyer like city folk do.......then next Spring they & their lawyers get burned out by backfires. They usually move back east using I-70 and tell stories of how terrible the people are "out here". The worst pollution to health out here are the lawyers from back East. Just my thoughts under the 1 & 2nd amendmet.

Reply to
Scott Altman

In Louisiana, we burn the leaves off the sugar cane before the cane is harvested. Sometimes it looks like black snow when the wind is just right. I'm not sure what happens next. Is all this smoke in the air going to create "nuclear winter" and we need to burn more to stay warm or "global warming" and we need to save the trees for the shade. Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
RKP51X

Spent a week this summer for work near Pensacola; we were within 5 miles of the gulf -- it still sucked. It was hot, but humid then it rained. After it rained, it really got humid. 110 in Tucson -- no problem, 98 in Florida with 100% humidity -- no thanks!

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I was always told to call the fire department when I smelled smoke.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Amazing you can still do that. They're not burning the paddies out in NorCal like they used to. I can remember days when you couldn't shoot approaches at Beale because of the smoke.

You burn your rice straw?

Reply to
George

Are you talking about Beale Street in SF? Probably standing between Bechtel and PG&E? max

Reply to
max

Yup.

Or they complain about the manure smells, yes. Worse, though, are the people who move out, see the real locals burning off their fields, and then decide to do it themselves. They seem to miss the little minor points about picking a day without high winds and when everything is bone-dry. One guy burned up his field, his neighbor's yard, and his neighbor's shed with a classic Harley (fully tricked out and restored) in it. Didn't do much for neighborly relations, I would imagine.

One guy, the cheif told him he was going to take his matches away, after having a "controlled burn" get away from the third year in a row.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Please don't waste your fire department's time for a bad-neighbor situation. Most of the time, they're at home with their families, and don't have time or interest in getting involved in some neighborly spat.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Two brothers I know _drove_ from Fairbanks, Alaska to spend Christmas with their parents in Jacksonville, Florida. On the day they arrived in Jacksonville the temperature was 12 F. The high that same day in Fairbanks was 20 F.

Reply to
fredfighter

Consider this to be neighborly advice.

Catch the neighbor sometime when his wife is not present and ask him what he has been burning lately.

You were not clear if he had burned befor without a problem over the last thirty years,. If so something has changed like maybe he's burning elm (elm stinks when its wet dunno how it smells when burnt) or his chimney needs cleaning, or maybe he has a dead racoon or bird nest or something in his chimney.

The quickest route to a solution to the problem would involve his cooperation. It seems clear he is willing to cooperate, you just have to get the wife out of the loop.

Reply to
fredfighter

Reply to
Richard Clements

12° in Jacksonville is very unusual. I lived there for five years (only a decade after Charlie) and don't remember it ever getting that cold. However, even after ten years in Jamestown, NY, and 26 years in Chicago, I still maintain the coldest I ever felt was one night in Jacksonville when it was 18°. I was sitting in my car, a convertible (yes, the top was UP, dammit), waiting for someone, and I couldn't get warm, even with the heat going. I can still remember it, and it's been 35 years.

I think appropriate garments, time of day, and associated weather phenomenon have everything to do with it. I took a 50' tower down one day in Chicago when it was 10°. Down vest, bright sunshine, no wind made it quite comfortable...until I had to put bare hands on steel.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Naw, he's talking about making approaches to Beale Air Force Base, home of the SR71.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Old steel worker ? walked the steel for 26 years......nothing colder in winter, nothing hotter in summer and nothing as unforgiving if one makes a mistake. Wood is much more fun !

Reply to
Scott Altman

Nope. Stupider than that. I'm a ham radio operator. Somehow I became the local tower climbing expert. I worked on more than 70 installations while I was living there; several more than once--some (mine included) many times.

I won't be able to dazzle you with height, as I'm sure you've worked hundreds of feet higher than I have, but the highest I worked was

140'.

Of course it wasn't just building them (and occasionally taking them down); it was also rigging big antennas onto them, too. A typical ham antenna (for HF use) has a boom between 12' and 30' long, and from 2 to 11 elements, as long as 44'. There are bigger ones but I never got involved with them.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

^^ ^^^^ Okay, LRod. Now we know you're lying. :)

OBWW: Last winter I helped a friend make some bookcases. I have a heater in the garage/shop, but at one point we needed to open the door in order to rip down some of the plywood. After the few short minutes to do that, I couldn't feel my fingers any more. :(

Reply to
Jeffrey Thunder

But, but, but...

Oh, I see; I think your ^^^ were supposed to be under the "no wind" They showed up under "vest, brig" on my reader. Yeah, I can see how you might disbelieve that...ha, ha. Of course I only said Chicago to make it simple. I was actually almost as far out as you; I was in Aurora.

I'm not saying there weren't some chilly moments. As I implied in my OP, having to take my gloves off to handle small metal parts was an exercise of very short bursts. That cold-soaked steel was more than a match for my extremeties.