need to learn woodworking in Toronto area- any ideas?

Hi, I am a graphic design with architecture background. I've built a few simple objects while I was in School but never really built anything grand scale. I would like to build my own dining table and chairs and was wondering if anyone can give me any guidance (I will do all the design work, measurements, etc). I am looking to see if there are any weekend classes in Toronto area where I can take courses (and build the table with the instructor's help). Thanks in advance for your suggestions... apkesh
I'm in the same boat. I found that most of the community colleges around GTA offers evening/weekend courses on woodworking:
I just enrolled in the upcoming one at George Brown myself: http://bannerweb.gbrownc.on.ca/coned/section/tech/bdrc.html
Kevin

lucky you Kevin. I just found the class it full, so I cannot sign up :(
Does any one know of any other schools in TOronto area that offer evenings/ weeknight woodworking classes? thanks, ap

The best place, although I don't know how near Toronto is to Ottowa, is Rosewood Studios.
On 09 Dec 2003 19:12:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DarylRos) wrote:

That'd be a long commute and a different language. (potentially!)
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Ottawa is still english, last I checked, and since I live there (here) I check often ;)
Actually, Rosewood Studios is in Almonte, a small town about 30-40 minutes from Ottawa. An absolutely gorgeous area.
I've never taken any courses at Rosewood Studios, but have heard good things about them. They offer 1 and 2 week full day courses if you wanted to make a vacation out of it.
Here's their URL: http://www.rosewoodstudio.com /
(not affiliated, and all that blah, blah, blah)
...Mike
I live in Toronto and no one in their right mind will ever travel 4 hours each way from Toronto to Ottawa to learn woodworking. A month ago I had a garage full of crap and now I have some simple tools that cost less than 200 bucks and I am happily learning through books, this NewsGroup, and trial and error. Most Home depo's have bargain bins where you can get perfectly good scrap wood for "a buck a peice", and the most common tools I use are my manual mitresaw, my hand plane, jig saw / skill saw, some files and chisels and a bench vise, ( all mastercraft stuff from canadian tire...really cost less that 200 bucks.... cheap but gets me started). I have built a kichen island and chairs, very simple mind you, but thats where you start, and if none of the above is applicable to you then I can only suggest the Toronto parks and Recreation services that offer free or low fee courses for beginner and intermediate, and I think your just paying for materials when there is a fee.
Good Luck
Jeff Mac
Jay Pique wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Apkesh) wrote in message

Try www.passionforwood.com. Haven't been there myself, but read good stuff about him in the Toronto Star. C
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Apkesh) wrote in

If you can commute to Oshawa, there's "The Carpenter's Square" <http://www.thecarpenterssquare.com/ . They have courses and they also can provide individual assistance (which it sounds like you'd be interested in).