Toronto Woodworking Show

see those evil Lee Valley People will be there too.

Best I count my pennies and check the weather radar... it's snowing pretty darn serious out there now.. with some (Yehaw, Yippee) ice pellets and freezing rain. Guy down the street got a reminder that his SUV works really nice accellerating on slippery pavement, but that his brakes don't work any better than those of us who do not have 4-wheel drive. Ah well, it's a Lexus, shouldn't be too expensive to remove that bus-stop bench from his grille... The fact that I laughed...was that wrong?

Robatoy

accelerating, accelerating, accelerating, accelerating ONE 'L'..accelerating. (It's one of those words that should have two 'L's, damnit) I always have to look up 'necessary' and 'happened'. The correct spelling will NOT stick in my head... never has, never will. ( NeCCesary and happeNNed ) I have a pretty decent memory for phone numbers, but some will NOT stick either. I have NO idea why not.

Reply to
Robatoy

Uh huh.

Anyway, which day do you like to go? Commenting on the snow today leads me to believe the first day, Friday, is your day; I am sure it will all be gone by Saturday as the rains start tonight. I won't have a chance until Saturday. I can't wait as I am shopping around for a bandsaw (and other small accessories).

Reply to
maico

Likely Saturday, but tomorrow won't be so busy and there will be samples left. Saturday will likely be a mad house. Sunday people are usually less up- beat and worn out.

Reply to
Robatoy

I'll be there on Friday - trying to avoid the weekend crush. Hopefully the weather will ease-up, but I originally came from Ottawa, so snow and ice don't bother me. Navigating through traffic with Torontonian's on the road will be the adventure. They don't do well with weather.

I intend to post an article about the show on

in week or two. In the past it's been pretty good, worth a drive if you are within striking distance of Toronto.

Michel.

Wood Portal

Reply to
Michel

"Robatoy" wrote in news:1172761816.228507.113760@

8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com:

No. Expected.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Well, the weather was actually pretty clear, wet on the roads, but not slippery. However, clearly a lot of folks decided to stay at home Friday, so the show wasn't very packed.

The show was ok, but it seems to have been shrinking over the years. This was confirmed by someone else I know who attends regularly. Mostly the same stuff, with some products you don't see at the local building centre. The internet, however, is probably making these shows less and less relevant when it comes to the unique stuff, since they all have websites. The draw may be the ability to get your hands on a wide variety of tools, the most recent versions from all the major suppliers, to check them out. There is generally a wider range than the building centres. Another draw may be the 'celebrity' seminars however on Friday afternoon, the were not well attended. One thing I didn't understand was the booth with the leather belts and sunglasses. Who let them in? The other problem was the lack of decent food!

I will post more on

later.

Michel.

Wood Portal

Reply to
Michel

I went today (Saturday), arrived at 11am and the lot was near full! I left at 1:30 and the lot was already opening up. It was REALLY packed and yeah, I thought it was smaller than last year. Pretty good show though. Your right Michel, what is with the sunglasses/belt buckles booth not to mention the moisturizing cream booth??!! Freaky. I didn't stay for any shows as I was with my wife and kids but we got through it all in two hours without any major hassles. My little own was knocked over by some fat-ass woman who looked at my daughter on the floor and then walked away without a word, apology or helping hand. An older gentlemen helped her up and quickly said "rude, fat- ass bitch". I still have faith in the hardcore woodworker: TRUE GENTLEMEN!

My two cents.

Reply to
maico

I went yesterday from about 12-4 pm. Crowds weren't great, but I've seen the much worse. There was a large Steel City booth in on area and their products were sprinkled throughout the show. Guess they're the new kid on the block and making a big push to be accepted.

Aside from the manufacturer dedicated booths, General tools were found almost everywhere. It appears that they've been fully accepted as Canada's premiere power tool supplier. And as usual, there were plenty of gadget related tools with someone doing demos of what they can do. Some were snake-oil pitches, many were borderline as to usefulness and a few were quite interesting. Laguana had a large booth, there was one area set aside for women's woodworking and there were actually quite a few women who were in there making some basic woodworking project under the tutaledge of a personal instructor. Sawstop had a booth there with the guts of one saw exposed so those so interested could examine it and ask questions. There didn't appear to be any live hot dog tests, but there plenty of videos playing showing the hot dog test.

I asked the Sawstop rep the same question that I ask all potential suppliers of tablesaws. "Since I use a wheelchair, could this saw cabinet be cut down

4"-6" at the base to make it more accessible to me?" Sawstop has too many internal workings to accommodate that request, but the General rep felt that it might be possible with them doing the alteration and still maintaining the original warranty. He will look into it for me. The only solution the Sawstop rep could come up with was the standard one of using a raised floor around the saw, something I've previously considered.

I didn't sit in on any of the hourly shows that were being presentated, guess I felt that most of them were for the beginner woodworking and the uninitiated.

And as mentioned, there really wasn't anything substantial as far as a sit and eat lounge, aside from the fact that all foods on the premises were very much overpriced. Smart thing to do is when you're going, go to some fast food location on the way. I went through a Harvey's drive-through.

At about 1:00 pm, all parking surrounding the building was temporarily closed due to being at full capacity, but I was about to finagle my way in since I use a wheelchair and needed to be reasonably close to the building entrance to allow me to get attend.

That's about it. The show is essentially the same every year. I go mostly to window-shop and to kick a few tires so to speak.

Reply to
Upscale