Need recommendations for chainsaw purchase

Page 1 of 2

It's time to replace my Crapsman. Once bitten, six or eight times shy.
While I want better then homeowner-grade, I don't need professional-forester grade, either. I'm thinking Husqvarna, but I'm open to suggestions. A couple of things it gots to have:
-- Variable chain oiling. My Crapsman's oiling system consisted of a compartment which dropped oil onto the chain. And when the chain wasn't moving, and went the saw wasn't running, the oil continued to run out. All over the case, all over everything. Piece of shit.
-- User-adjustable carbureutor. I don't want to have to take it to *&^%ing Sears to make simple adjustments. Piece of shit.
-- Decent chain-tensioning mechanism. The Crapsman consisted of two bolts which could never be tightened enough to keep the bar from moving and loosening the chain. Piece of shit.
-- Upgraded crankshaft. I'll be honest with you, I'm not even completely sure what this means, but I was told to get it! My sharpening guy said "You gotta have a ball-bearing crankshaft. Most don't." Umm...I'm not sure how a crankshaft could *not* have ball bearings, but then again, my Crapsman probably didn't. Piece of shit.
Price range: $300 - $400.
Bar length: 18". If 18" isn't long enough to cut through it, then I'm not man enough to do it myself. Professional time at that point.
Thoughts, comments, and yes, flames welcome.
http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/comparison.html
I have a stihl and love it.

Ditto the Stihl. Tough saw.
Jim

I third it. I Had an 031 that I used for 5-6 cords a year for 7-8 years back in my younger days. It never let me down, with a 16" bar it would drop a 32" tree. The perfect saw up until I moved to Houston and had it stolen. Mom still has my Dad's 028, and I use it sometimes when I go to visit. That saw is at least 20 years old.

have to add my vote for a Stihl, love mine
Roy wrote:

Find a repair place close to your home. Find out if the carry parts for a Husqvarna or a Stihl. You will be happy with either as long as you can get parts and repairs. I have had my Husqvarna for 7 years and have never needed a part or repair. I have a service center 3 miles from my house. Last time I was in the Sears service center I witnessed 3 angry customers in 30 minutes!
AZCRAIG
www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Stihl has a real handy system on some models...built in fold down crank, no tools necessary, works well. http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/features.html
--

dadiOH
____________________________
wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Popular Mechanics did a review recently, and they liked the Stihl in the $300 range... http://tinyurl.com/kde7f
Of course you could always check here for an alternative to a gas burner... http://www.crosscutsaw.com /
JP
On 16 Jul 2006 10:46:55 -0700, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You should be able to get a lot of chainsaw for that money. Stihl or Husqvarna--it's a coin toss. Pick whichever one has the closest dealer. I am fortunate enough to have one of each in my town, so I mix up my choices on two stroke tools.
Jonsered is also supposed to be very good, but unless you live in logging country, it's going to be hard to find a dealer.
I wouldn't give a tinker's dam for any of the other brands.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
On 16 Jul 2006 10:46:55 -0700, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

About a year ago a massive limb feel from a big oak in my yard - imagine an oak with a base width of almost 7 feet. The *branch* that fell was 33" in diameter. Anyway, when I was younger I rode Moto-X and had a Husky so I was dead set on a Husky for a saw. I got the 357XP and what a saw.....love it. I would suggest to you the 455 Rancher. I tried this saw in my search and it is a great saw for the money. (Amazon.com product link shortened)53074607/sr=1-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-1850987-1986435?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n"8013
Good Luck/Work Safe

Our local dealer sells Stihl and Husqvarna. He said the Stihl as a slightly better record for problems, but are good workers.
wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Are you after a saw or just whining about the Craftsman one you have?
Can't speak to a Stihl which I'm sure is a great saw. I own a Husqvarna Rancher 55 and I can tell you it kicks butt and takes names. Its the very best I've ever owned and wouldn't buy anything else. Has the 18" bar (also available in a 20") and fits in your price range. FWIW, Sears carries it, so does Lowe's, along with all the accessories and spare bars, chains etc. Prices for spare parts are actually civil too!
(Amazon.com product link shortened)"8013 http://www.epinions.com/Husqvarna_Chain_Saw_Model_55/display_~reviews http://www.chainsaws4u.com/husqvarnachainsaws.htm http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=frameSet&url=lowes.husqvarna.com/chainsaws.htm
Grandpa John

A friend of mine works at a tool rental/hardware store, and HE says that Stihl and Husky have gone the way of John Deere as far as their "borg models."
Caveat emptor.
-Phil Crow
I've been seeing ads (in USAToday?) from Stihl stating - there's a reason they're not available in the big box stores.
Are you saying some models are?
Renata

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I've heard the same thing about Husky from some reputable sources. Their BORG models have been cheapened in order to meet the BORGS' profit margins. As most people that frequent this forum know, OEM's often cheapen their BORG models. And one of the sources I heard that from was a BORG purchaser.
I don't mean to indict Husky saws...they're considered some of the best in the world. But if I buy one, it'll be from a local dealer. Each dollar you spend is a vote, and I vote for keeping helpful dealers around.
Stihl, however, still sells only from their dealers. You will not find a Stihl in the States on line...I couldn't even get prices on-line in order to compare. I really respect that.
I've spoken with a Jonsered dealer nearby, and he said they're going to have a "push/pull/drag" sale coming in September. Any complete saw, regardless of condition, will get you a $100 off many new Jonsereds. The one I've got my eye on, the 2152, normally goes for $489 with an 18" bar. That's out of my range, but if the carcass of my saw will knock $100 off, well that's a gloat in the making. I like the dealer and respect his advice, so this may be the way to go.
I have a Stihl. They have a large variety of sizes and bar sizes. Stihl is considered by many to be the best you can buy. Sales are tightly controlled through authorized dealers.
On 16 Jul 2006 10:46:55 -0700, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I've been a logger for 38 plus years and although i ran jonsreds for most of those my saw of choice in the later years has gone to husqvarna. the 455 rancher will do what you want to do and will last for years with a little care. sells for $339.95 w/ 20" bar and chain at www.baileys-onlie.com there a great logger supply outfit at a good price. ross www.highislandexport.com
Ross Hebeisen wrote:

Absolutely loved the last line on the home page of your website. Tell's a potential customer all they need to know about you and your business. Nice touch.
Thanks to you and everyone else for the good advice.
thanks so much for the compliment on the website. so little means so much. thank you ross