Nedwport Desk - Brad Problem

I have been working on this copy of a Goddard/Townsend Desk

and have run into a problem.

The brads that I am using have more of a reddish cast than what I would like to use for this project.

Can anyone clue me in as to how to color my brads, so that they will fit in better with my finish?

plaid wooddoctor and bon vivant

Reply to
Abe Normranson

I certainly hope you're kidding. *Brads* on a fine piece like that??

At a bare minimum, you should use 15 ga finshing nails. Coil roofing nails would be better, and a true master carpenter would settle for nothing less than galvanized deck screws.

Geez.

Reply to
kkfitzge

Deer Geez:

i was thinking about the deck screws.

They have those nice colored caps available for them.

Thanks.

seriously, Abe

plaid wooddoctor and bon vivant

Reply to
Abe Normranson

Hi Abe,

Everytime I cobble together something like this, I let the brads "sing" proudly off the surface. The more random the color the better!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

> and have run into a problem.

Leave the brads out in the rain for a few days.

Nova

Okay Lou, I can get behind that.

I suppose that an argument could be made for a studded nail pattern, kinda like those seen on the trellis gates of Norman castles.

I'm thinking "Rust" as opposed to "Buff" and "Ochre" as differentiated from "Watered Blood".

Thank you so much for your insightful help.

seriously, Abe

plaid wooddoctor and bon vivant

Reply to
Abe Normranson

| > =

| > and have run into a problem. | >

| > The brads that I am using have more of a reddish cast than what I | > would like to use for this project. | >

| > Can anyone clue me in as to how to color my brads, so that they will | > fit in better with my finish? | >

| > plaid wooddoctor and bon vivant |=20 | Leave the brads out in the rain for a few days. |=20 | -- | Jack Novak | Buffalo, NY - USA | (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply) |=20 |=20

Actually, if one wants to accomplish the colour change faster, one could = urinate upon the head of the problem.

--=20

PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

>> and have run into a problem.

Reply to
bradnh

I've seen some rusted iron railroad spikes that are about the same colour. Might need to predrill some of the holes though.

Reply to
mp

Brads are out of period for such a piece - use cut nails instead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

>> and have run into a problem.

Come on you guys don't be mean. I personally don't worry about the color of the brads. I just use my

24oz. waffle faced framing hatchet to set the brads slightly below the surface of the wood and fill with 1/4 cup or so of wood putty. :) BC
Reply to
bc