Nedwport Desk - Brad Problem

I have been working on this copy of a Goddard/Townsend Desk
http://www.artandantiqueemporium.com/desk/pages/desk_slant_top_newport_block_and_shell_carved.htm
and have run into a problem.
The brads that I am using have more of a reddish cast than what I would like to use for this project.
Can anyone clue me in as to how to color my brads, so that they will fit in better with my finish?
plaid wooddoctor and bon vivant
I certainly hope you're kidding. *Brads* on a fine piece like that??
At a bare minimum, you should use 15 ga finshing nails. Coil roofing nails would be better, and a true master carpenter would settle for nothing less than galvanized deck screws.
Geez.
On 15 Feb 2005 17:18:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@fast.net wrote:

Deer Geez:
i was thinking about the deck screws.
They have those nice colored caps available for them.
Thanks.
seriously, Abe
plaid wooddoctor and bon vivant

Hi Abe,
Everytime I cobble together something like this, I let the brads "sing" proudly off the surface. The more random the color the better!
Lou

Okay Lou, I can get behind that.
I suppose that an argument could be made for a studded nail pattern, kinda like those seen on the trellis gates of Norman castles.
I'm thinking "Rust" as opposed to "Buff" and "Ochre" as differentiated from "Watered Blood".
Thank you so much for your insightful help.
seriously, Abe
Abe Normranson wrote:

http://www.artandantiqueemporium.com/desk/pages/desk_slant_top_newport_block_and_shell_carved.htm
Leave the brads out in the rain for a few days.
| Abe Normranson wrote: | | > I have been working on this copy of a Goddard/Townsend Desk | > | > http://www.artandantiqueemporium.com/desk/pages/desk_slant_top_newport_block_and_shell_carved.htm | > | > and have run into a problem. | > | > The brads that I am using have more of a reddish cast than what I | > would like to use for this project. | > | > Can anyone clue me in as to how to color my brads, so that they will | > fit in better with my finish? | > | > plaid wooddoctor and bon vivant | | Leave the brads out in the rain for a few days. | | -- | Jack Novak | Buffalo, NY - USA | (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply) | |
Actually, if one wants to accomplish the colour change faster, one could urinate upon the head of the problem.
--
PDQ
I would just use one of those combination stain/polyurethane finishes. I think the antique/honey oak would probably work. Just use a foam brush....
Abe Normranson wrote:

I've seen some rusted iron railroad spikes that are about the same colour. Might need to predrill some of the holes though.

Brads are out of period for such a piece - use cut nails instead.
Abe Normranson wrote:

Come on you guys don't be mean. I personally don't worry about the color of the brads. I just use my 24oz. waffle faced framing hatchet to set the brads slightly below the surface of the wood and fill with 1/4 cup or so of wood putty. :) BC