Nail gun question

Would anyone happen to know how far up the price chain you have to go before you find an ELECTRIC brad gun (say up to 150mm) that drives the nail flush with the surface (or even below the surface a bit) instead of leaving it proud by 10mm or so? Are there any that are adjustable so that the brads can be driven either permanently flush or proud for temporary fixing?
FoggyTown

as far as I know, there aren't any worth the gunpowder to blow them to hell, at any price.
Probably 10 to 15 thousand dollars and I have never seen one. So far none of the ones that I have seen will do it, Unless you are shooting into Balsa.

If it exists, you probably cannot pick it up. Requires 3-phase power as well. Depth adjustment requires an overhead crane.
Of course, there is the cordless model (AKA "hammer"). Batteries not included.

Well, you have gotten a few 'good' replies, but I would look at the DeWalt, cordless nailers. Not sure if you just REALLY want something plugged into the wall, but if you just don't want a compressor, they should be about as good as you're going to find. If 16ga is too large, there might be other cordless ones out there that are smaller. As far as leaving the nail 1cm, (3/8"+), proud, . . . I think you're out of luck, at least I've never seen one, for what ever that's worth.
http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail_listing.asp?categoryID77

I'm not certain, but I believe the Dewalt cordless nailers actually have a small compressor built into them, so they are in effect pneumatic nailers. I've never used one, but I've seen good reviews.
For my money, I'd go buy a small compressor and a cheap nailer from Harbor Freight. I have both a brad nailer and a stapler from HF that I paid $20 apiece for. They work perfectly and seem fairly well built.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF309

Agreed. The cordless DeWalt cordless would be fine for occasional work but it weighs almost 3 times as much as the regular air type.
I never have used one, and yes, I think they are a small battery powered compressor, but still, I assume the OP is looking for something that does not require a compressor/tank. My guess is they are looking at those little electric brad/staple guns for $20ish. They don't say what they want to use them on, or how often, but I think those little electric ones would be lucky to staple a sheet of paper to drywall. Seems like HD has a PC pancake compressor and brad gun combo for a pretty good price. I hate so see people buy HF to save money, then end up having replace a tool with one that actually works. I know I've fallen for Ryobe tools a couple of times and always ended up wishing I would have saved my money and just got the good one the first time. Much cheaper and a whole lot less frustrating in the long run.

First off, 150mm is about 6 inches, I think you have to go to powder-actuated for that kind of length.
However, I recently tried the DeWalt rechargeable at a tool repair shop and it worked really well. The service man said it used a flywheel to provide power, rather than the solenoid action of the cheap electrics.
I don't remember the exact price, but I do remember thinking that I could buy a cheap compressor & pneumatic gun from harbor Freight for less.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland