My week

Why on Earth would a circular saw on a RAIL need a riving knife for kickback protection? Especially when it's primarily used on panel products which, by nature, don't get the urge to close up like improperly dried hardwood lumber might.

I haven't yet used one (plugged in) so I can't tell you from experience. But if you're hanging the motor off the edge of the rail, I'd think you'd want both clamps for the rail and a catch on the saw to keep it more steady.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Add him to your twit filter and be done with the damned troll, Reeky.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep, it is a simple setting.

It is called a kill file.

Do that, you won't have to deal with it. And the rest of us won't have to either.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

In my estimation, and use of the saw, and because it's a PLUNGE saw, the Festool riving knife mitigates the tendency of the saw to kickback toward the operator upon a plunge cut away from the edges of a panel (a cut I use quite often now that I have the ability to do it easily).

It is upon the use of this very cut that the Makita's tendency to kickback is most notable according to its owners.

But I can ...

You would think .. but in actual practice, that thinking goes out the window and is inoperative.

A bit of practical, hands on experience with the Festool TS55 and TS75 would do wonders to remove those erroneous preconceptions. ;)

I have to admit that, as a new user, I was very reluctant to forego clamping the rail down prior to making the first few cuts.

After gaining some experience you learn to trust the system for what it was designed to do, and you find that you very rarely need to clamp the guide rails to the workpiece, even on beveled cuts.

It's a new way of working ... and thinking.

Reply to
Swingman

I for one try real hard to give people the benefit of the doubt, and because he does post on-topic at least half the time, I (and several others) have tried many times (more times than he deserves) to convince this dipshit to use a helpful posting style, but he flat-out refuses. He thinks it's a funny little game, and he's just "oh so amused" that so many people have such a problem with it. The more that people bitch at him about it, the more happy it makes him; in fact, I'm convinced it gives him a woody. I truly think he's too stupid to fix it, so he compensates by making fun of everybody who complains about it.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Ahhhhh!! Brilliant deduction. Not that he doesn't want to change, he's not able...Bingo!

Reply to
Robatoy

Do you seriously feel that it does any good whatsoever, Swingy? I can't see how it could. Panel products don't have the internal stresses that badly dried woods do.

Well, yeah, that type of cut would give you the most feedback. But I've never had much (unless I slip) feedback with my old circ saw doing plunge cuts, rotating the saw off its butt into the panel. And that with HF blades! The shame...

Speaking of blades, have you Festering owners tried the Oslun brand of blades?

$20.

OK. I guess the balance is better than I thought.

I got to handle them at the local home center's toolmonger day, but they didn't have any plugins, so I couldn't hear the DC or cut with the TS55.

Doesn't sawdust mess with the sticky strips on the guide?

So it would seem.

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It draws out the trolls, shows progress of header association since threaded readesr were developed, takes less effort to read and post is becoming popular in many groups.

Josepi

That was quick. I rest my case.

Do that, you won't have to deal with it. And the rest of us won't have to either.

Reply to
Josepi

It also helps identify the trolls very quickly.

No need to change to match them.

Reply to
Josepi

How was an often thoughtful person like yourself drawn into troll-dom? Is it that it's easier to compete than at the other end?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Very easy to float above swine! Clueless egotistical swathes of carbon chips LOL LOL

How was an often thoughtful person like yourself drawn into troll-dom? Is it that it's easier to compete than at the other end?

Bill

Reply to
Josepi

Bill, PDFTFT!

-- I am an old man, but in many senses a very young man. And this is what I want you to be, young, young all your life. -- Pablo Casals

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Delusions of grandeur, huh? Don't allow it to consume your days...

Reply to
Bill

I rest another case.

Smells like another Doug Miller troll.

Very easy to float above swine! Clueless egotistical swathes of carbon chips LOL LOL

Bill

Josepi wrote:

Reply to
Josepi

Well first off what makes you think it is only used on panel projects, I have used mine on regular wood also. The Festool saw is meant to cut anything you would normally cut with a circular saw, maybe the Makita is not.

At a steep bevel angle the saw will lift off of the sled, IF you let go. Under normal operating conditions it has no suprises.

Reply to
Leon

Actually when cutting boards, not just sheet goods, it probably adds to prevent kick back.

The friction strips are not sticky, work very similar to the friction pads on the bottom of the Grippers push blocks, they don't slip snf don't attract dust either.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Yabbut,...... it takes awhile to gain confidence in their stickiness. :-)

Max

Reply to
Max

I said "primarily", not "only", Leon.

The Makita is an improved clone. Why wouldn't it be used in the same manner as a green F unit?

OK. It had appeared to be a useful function...and may be to someone else.

-- I am an old man, but in many senses a very young man. And this is what I want you to be, young, young all your life. -- Pablo Casals

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How often do you rip boards with it? 1/2% of the time? 1/4%?

OK.