I realized the idea that I had on Friday morning when I posted the questions
about the knife block. As promised, here are a couple of pictures. Sorry
for the absurdly low quality of the pictures. I borrowed my son's digital
camera and clearly I don't know how to operate it.
Scrap ash, knife profile routed out freehand, tang accomodated by chisel,
and rare-earth magnets epoxied in place.
After I took the pictures I decided to go back and cut off the corners and
apply a few coats of varathane. If I can figure out the camera a little
better I'll upgrade the pictures. But I'm pleased enough with the result.
It's extremely rare for me to take a project from conception to finish in a
single weekend. (Heck, anything less than a year is an improvement!)
- Owen -