My most recent drum project

Page 1 of 3
(Also posted to rec.music.makers.percussion)
I recently finished up another drum I've been working on. This one is a 20"x15" bass drum constructed from Black Walnut:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/sets/72157625838936416 /
Here are some pictures of the various jigs I used to build it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/sets/72157625838041282 /
Now I just need to build the rest of the drums so I'll have a full set to play!

That's a sweet looking drum, Steve. Nice job! Seems a shame to beat on it though... ;) R
On 1/16/11 3:52 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Astonishing work, Steve. I hate you. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 1/16/2011 4:07 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I love you too man!
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 1/16/2011 4:11 PM, Sonny wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, the jigs get the job done, but I've been pondering how to construct my "second generation" jigs, complete with offsetting guide rollers to keep the shells firmly in position, and with motors to spin the shells (slowly) during milling so that I don't have to spin them by hand. :-)

How about pedal or treadle driven?

I don't know anything about building drums. Is this the usual way of doing things? Or is there a much cheaper, simpler way of doing things?
On 1/16/2011 5:04 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

No, the vast majority of modern drums are built using multiple plies of thin veneer, laminated with heat and pressure in large cylindrical presses that are far beyond the means and capabilities of the average woodworker. The level of quality achieved by most modern manufacturers is actually quite impressive; probably an order of magnitude better than the best quality baltic birch plywood that you and I are used to seeing at our local hardwood supplier. Shells built in this fashion can be ridiculously thin (less than 1/4") yet still very strong and durable. Many manufacturers are also doing amazing things with fancy finishes and exotic wood veneers, and I only wish I had the facilities to build drums in this fashion. Still, there is also the air of mass-produced "sameness" about such drums, and there is definitely still a market for drums constructed from solid pieces of wood, and the "stave" method I used is but one of a few. Other methods include:
Steam bending a solid piece of wood, typically using a scarf joint to bring the two ends together into a cylinder. This method is one of the oldest, but is typically only used to construct snare drums, which are relatively small in diameter (13" or 14") and shallow (averaging about 6" deep).
A method probably familiar to most wood turners would be segmented shells, which are probably best described by a picture:
http://www.snaredrumsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/maple-snare-drum-1550481605266287660.jpg
Some builders are even having success building shells from large logs, hollowing out the center and carefully milling the inside and outside surfaces until the shell reaches the desired thickness. The goal is to have a shell that's a natural as possible, with no joints and no glue, supposedly yielding the "holy grail" of sound quality. Personally, I think it's a lot of work with very little (if any) payoff. After all, at the end of the day it's still just a drum. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I know exactly zero about drums, so take this with a shaker of salt (preferably with a few lemons and a bottle of tequila), and I have no idea about drum sizing, so this may be totally off the wall, but could you use a section of plastic sewer pipe, wrap veneer around it and vacuum bag the sucker?
On 1/16/11 10:29 PM, RicodJour wrote:

Drums are sized 1/8" under nominal size, ie: 14" drum is 13-7/8". Most shells are 1/4"-3/8" So if you could find pipe the right size, sure.
It would probably be easier to build up a form with the same technique as building a shell.
--

-MIKE-

Wouldn't work, I believe.
In using vacuum bagging, the pressure pushes layers together or into a shaped form. In this case, the pressing together tighter would also need to coil the veneer tighter, rotating around the jig. Unless you had a way to rotate the veneers as you bagged it, it would not allow the veneer to be compressed against the other layers.
It might work if each layer was separate from the other layers, so there was only a short overlap, or no overlap.
When a drum is built using veneers, it has glue applied, and tightened and held tight as it is rolled around the form.
--
Jim in NC

Yeah, I can see that is an issue. Leaving 'contraction space' so the veneer meeting edges would just touch as the vaccum was applied would also be difficult. What about laying up the veneers inside the sewer pipe and using a pneumatic bladder to press the veneer against the pipe?
On 1/18/11 10:49 AM, RicodJour wrote:

I was contracted to veneer a bass drum hoop in bubinga and used a bicycle inner-tube as a bladder clamp for the inside, which worked perfectly.
--

-MIKE-

Still the same problem. You are asking the veneer to slip laterally as the glue squeezes out. Ever try to coil up a roll of aluminum flashing, to make the roll smaller? You have to coil the inside before you can get the outside to get smaller. You can not pull on the outside layer to get it tighter. It just does not work.
--
Jim in NC

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:04:43 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I was going to ask him how many hours this one took and if he were selling them/recouping his costs, etc. Nice project, Steve.
P.S: Gonna turn (or metalspin) your own cymbals, too?
-- Threee days before Tucson, Howard Dean explained that the tea party movement is "the last gasp of the generation that has trouble with diversity." Rising to the challenge of lowering his reputation and the tone of public discourse, Dean smeared tea partiers as racists: They oppose Obama's agenda, Obama is African-American, ergo...
Let us hope that Dean is the last gasp of the generation of liberals whose default position in any argument is to indict opponents as racists. This McCarthyism of the left -- devoid of intellectual content, unsupported by data -- is a mental tic, not an idea but a tactic for avoiding engagement with ideas. It expresses limitless contempt for the American people, who have reciprocated by reducing liberalism to its current characteristics of electoral weakness and bad sociology. --George Will 14 JAN 2011 Article titled "Tragedies often spark plenty of analysis"
On 1/16/2011 9:20 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks! I didn't keep track of my hours, but I suspect I would have trouble selling these drums for anything close to a decent profit unless I could find a niche market among well-compensated hot-shot musicians, and those are few and far between. I would also have to *significantly* automate my processes before I could become competitive, and believe it or not there is a lot of competition out there already. I'm really just doing this for my own amusement, and plus I need a second set of drums. :-)

So many things to do, so little time! :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Egad!
Talk to the importers of Tibetan items... Om mani padme hum.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know, I know: "Tadaaaa!!!" . . LOL....awesome!
On 2011-01-16 16:52:54 -0500, Steve Turner

That is gorgeous! As is your trim plane. And thanks for the jigging ideas. I'll never make a drum (probably), but I'll bet sooner or later I come up with some project that could use those ideas.