My First Lee Valley Purchase

Page 2 of 2

Lee Valley: worse than crack
stoutman wrote:

Nice stuff on your web site. Like the birds eye maple in the one unit...
Careful though with Lee Valley. They will get their clutches into you and eat all your spare cash. This is the end of "spare cash" as you have known it. lol
--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

dunno... at least after you come off of a LV high you have some cool tools.. *g*

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Tis a slippery slope ... the very epitome thereof, indeed.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05

Do you think that Robin Lee sells some kinda teflon lubricant for that slippery slope?
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 06:18:42 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

It's free with the first order.
Also in the teflon kit is "wallet lube", which is chemically cross-linked with the ink used in LV catalogs. This product helps the cash and credit cards slide out of the wallet faster upon arrival of each new catalog.
Barry
Lee Michaels wrote:

They don't sell it, they give it away. It's call their catalog.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Not sure. I guess if you started with a low grit sandpaper or a fast cutting watertstone you could remove a nick with it.
I haven't had to remove any nicks yet.
Tom Woodman wrote:

Dave
Tom,
Get yourself a good selection of papers (some wet 'n dry too) and you can quickly take out reasonable sized nicks and hone a set of 3 blades in about 30 mins - after you've done it once. First time around, your time will depend on your learning curve capability. But if you can get 4 pieces of float glass and put a different grade of paper on each one, the process will go quickly.
I can say that the jig has more than paid for itself in the number of times I would have sent the blades out for sharpening or replacing them. I have 3 sets that I rotate out and after milling some really rough (dirty) stock this past summer, I had to sharpen all 3 sets again. Took me about 30 mins per set. (that's 10 mins worth of work and 20 mins of admiring how sharp they are.....;-)
Bob S.

Is their anything special you do with this jig to maintain the balance on the 3 or 4 knives? Or does the honing not remove enough material to significantly alter the weight?

Doubt you could ever take enough material off jointer blades to affect the balance. Not a high-speed device, plus the mass of the head itself and it's secured pretty good.
Bob S.