My daughter's science fair project

I just came from my daughter's school, and for the fifth (yes, fifth) year in a row she won the science fair and will be moving on to the district competition in about a month or so. (I don't have the exact date yet.) She did all of the woodworking by herself except for the table saw cuts, as she is still too short to safely reach over the saw. I have included for your pleasure (or mine, if I must be honest) some pictures from my web site.
I think this qualifies as a gloat, or at least a neener.
Glen
http://home.netcom.com/~gkraig/project9.htm
You wont let her use the TS, but you let her use the JOINTER?
My boss wouldnt let me use the jointer for my first two weeks working for him, and I'm an adult! ;)
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:01:16 +0000, Glen wrote:

Clearly, It's a gloat! (Any time spent with your kids or grandkids is a gloat!
Jack

OK, Glenn, I AM jealous! She will bring MANY good cows when you take her to market in a decade and a half. They are a pleasure now.
That is fantastic Glen and great job by your daughter. My son entered the science fair 4 years ago and won in district, city, and region. That was in Houston. It really gets exciting.

She
she
Nice job, but no eye protection and wearing loose clothing?

year
your
Gotta go with Ron on this one. YIKES!! 'bout crawled out of my skin when I saw that. My daughter's too young to handle tools yet, but she likes to be around watching and handing me stuff. First thing I did was get here a set of Jr. eyeglasses and some earplugs. She even has her own spot on one of my shelves where her things go. Makes her feel more a part of what I'm doing I guess.
Nice project by the way, no doubt you're proud as can be :) Keep up the good work, dad!
Mike

Mike in Idaho wrote:

Me three. Kids come in the shop, eyes go on. We put on ears as needed.
Lately I've gotten rid of the safety glasses though. We've discovered something much, much better, IMHO. Full-face shields. They fit the kids better, and they protect much, much better. It's not too hard for sawdust and stray splinters to find their way under regular safety glasses, as evinced by the time I had to pay a visit to an opthamologist after a weedeater accident while wearing standard issue OSHA safety glasses with side shields. Chunk of whatever went up underneath and winged my cornea. Luckily it was just a minor scratch.
Face shields are the best $11 I've ever spent on safety gear. They get the Silvan Seal of Approval for sure.
Anyway, to the OP, good gloat on the science project. Don't get too excited about MIT though. I won lots of science fairs, majored in foreign languages, and now I'm a truck driver. Go figure.
Silvan wrote:

If you use both the glasses AND the face shield, you will be way ahead on safety. At my day job, our safety managers tell us that a face shield shouldn't be used alone. Safety glasses should be worn underneath. However, safety glasses alone would be fine. Depends on the situation that you are working in. Standing at a grinder, I would wear both. Working around chemicals, I would wear both. What you do in the privacy of your own home, is your personal choice. You can never be too safe or too aware! BTW, I too have had the experience of a little chunk of metal in my eye. That required a trip to the ophthalmologist to have fished out. What fun! My kids said I looked like a pirate for a few days!
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

OK, I'll bite. What possible advantage could I get from wearing both? Just extra protection in the event that something whacks into the shield hard enough to compromise it?
I've found that side-shield safety glasses fail at the bottom. If forehead-to-chin wrap-around face shield has a weakness, it's also at the bottom. I don't quite follow how having extra protection that's weak in the same area could afford much extra protection.
I'm not impossible to convince by any means though. I'm just wondering what the reasoning is here.

Yeah, what fun indeed. I've had to play pirate twice. Once with the chunk of mystery material from the weedeater, and another time while crawling under some pine trees to retrieve a baseball.

Have you found a full shield that is safety rated?
The one _I've_ got states expressly in the directions that safety glasses are _also_ required. I'd love to find one -- *affordably* that is -- that is also safety rated.
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Hrm... That makes two of you. I have to admit I'm guilty of not reading the directions very carefully. I'll have to do some digging, but for $11, these things are probably not safety rated, I suppose.
Interesting...
http://www.aosafety.com/diy/html/90028.htm
Professional Faceshield
Tough polycarbonate window is heat resistant Patented window attachment system Easy to use adjustment offers custom, secure fit Quality U.S.A. construction Protects face and neck against chemical splash and flying particles Meets ANSI Z87.1-1989 and complies with OSHA requirements for industrial protective eyewear
*Always wear eye protection when using a faceshield
So it meets ANSI Z87.1-1989 and compiles with OSHA requirements for industrial protective eyewear, but it isn't "eye protection."
More interesting... Here's this much touted all important ANSI Z87.1-1989 standard that's responsible for defining so many things related to my safety on and off the job, and I can't look at the standard itself without paying money to buy a copy from ANSI. WTF? That just doesn't seem right.
Well, anyway, I finally dug up OSHA's rule on the matter...
"Face shields are considered secondary protectors to be used in addition to primary protection such as safety spectacles or goggles."
Still no really sound explanation for the mechanics of why that is so, but I surmise that my supposition in the last message is probably close enough to on target. The "primary protection" is intended to be a failsafe in case the face shield fails.
Alrighty then, if it's good enough for OSHA, it's good enough for me. I'll start wearing safety glasses under the face shield. Except for my daughter, who's face is still too small for the smallest glasses I can find.
Silvan wrote:

In your daughter's case, a face shield is better than nothing!! Check out www.uvex.com/skybrites2.html I went to the Uvex site, to the search engine, typed in "children" and it gave me a press release that the "Skybrites" versions are made for children and young adults. Boas are small and tight on my fat head! www.lindensafety.com/details.cfm?id4 Child safety with style! www.elvex.com/child-safety-glasses.htm Maybe you can find her something that fits?? I hope this helps!
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Sure thing... In any case, I'm not too worried about my daughter. She isn't tall enough to get into anything that's going to pose a serious threat of something poking her in the eye. It's more a matter of protecting her from collateral damage and establishing good habits from the beginning.
Silvan wrote:

That's good to hear! Gotta raise 'em right!
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:04:13 -0500, Silvan

Tips to keep you wearing them:
1) keep them in a felt bag/box whenever they're not on your head. Otherwise, they'll get splattered with solvents, sawdust, paint, etc. and start getting hazy far too quickly.
2) clean them: blow them off or rinse them in warm soapy water, then dry them with a clean, damp, soft cloth, never paper or tissue. Wood-based products will scratch plastic.
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
Larry Jaques wrote:

One of my self-indulgences has been to keep a spray bottle of Windex in the shop. It works well on glasses. I have a square of felt-like micro-fiber material from an optical shop that works better than anything else I've ever tried...
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

Have you tried the Dyno-Mites at McFeely's ? http://store.yahoo.com/squaredrive/sg-0301.html
Glen wrote:

A great gloat for both of you!
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

She
she
Definitely a gloat, but I have to tell you that I shuddered when I saw the first picture of her using the router table without any safety glasses on.
Frank