my dad and his tools

Got that right! The memories are important, but it's also important not to let a boob like that ruin your life. My brother (who has been in/out of rehab for hard drug use) stole a bunch of my father's tools when he was sick with cancer. I let it ride, even though that affected me as well as my dad. Dad's gone now, but I will have to be around my brother for many decades to come. One thing to be grateful for, he has begun to reexamine his life and make some good decisions for a change. And when he talks about dad, he's proud! "My dad did this... my dad did that..." If dad had known that his death would finally straighten my brother out, he would have volunteered. He was that kind of father - would have thrown himself onto a hand grenade for a stranger.

'Appy Thanksgiving, all!

James

Reply to
The Other James

My father was an executive in the American Red Cross. He was the first person in his family to go to college and in fact he completed two degrees.

But he never felt that working with his hands was beneath him. One of my earliest scars is on my ankle. I was playing on a pile of bricks at 3 years old where he was laying a brick patio. The little bastard broke under my weight and the subsequent fall skinned my ankle bone clean to the bone.

When I was little, Dad and I built fences, doghouses, barbeque pits, finished sheetrock, installed drains . . .

Dad was never willing to hire a contractor if he could see his way clear to how a job ought to be done. Of course, it always took longer than we thought it would and cost more than we anticipated, but was the years pass, you get used to that and can plan for it.

Then came that fateful day. I was in college, and Dad had waited on me to get home before installing a window air conditioner. He didn't think he could lift it by himself.

I almost went into shock.

Dad. Dad. Waited. On. Me.

Dad never waited on me. Ever.

It's been downhill ever since.

He doesn't breath well any more. His stamina is poor.

He's seventy this year. He's developed adult aquired diabetes, and survived an arterial bypass. He's already outlived his father and grandfather, but I think we both know that he's fading.

You know, I never thought that Dad was around much when I was a kid. It seemed like he was always either away on a business trip or working late at the office.

But today, when one of my friends asks me "where did you learn to do THAT?" I answer, "Father teach, long time ago."

Bill

Reply to
Bill McNutt

hi bill. i worked for the red cross back in 72 during the agnes flood in corning n.y. i seem to recall your name but cant place it with a face. seems he would be in his 50's or 60's now. would this maybe be the same mcnutt? just curious. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Possibly, but not likely. We left Alabama around 72 and spent three years in Boston. Then down to Charleston.

It would have been Bill McNutt. He didn't go by Senior. He was the general manager of the Tuskaloosa Chapter. Then an Assistant in Boston, and then GM again in Charleston.

Bill

Reply to
Bill McNutt

thanks for the reply. i didnt figure it would be but ya never know. i also served in the navy with a petty oficer by the same name in 75 or

76 in the south pacific but the dates dont work out. must be a common name. skeez
Reply to
skeezics