my dad and his tools

Page 3 of 3
<snip many great stories>
Stop that! You guys are making me look like a crying sissy at work!
(This is why the wreck was worth saving 'eh?)
I turn 30 this year and have been dabbling in ww for..oh..4 years or so. I always believed that my grandfather, who passed away in '95, could build anything. Carpentry. Finish work. Woodworking. You name it. I can still smell the sawdust in his shop.
It wasn't until he'd been gone a few years that I really started getting interested in ww...and I can still remember the poignancy of the moment that I realized what he was talking about when he was debating whether to get a jointer or a planer/moulder. The conversation sprung to mind after I'd read a review, and I remember thinking "I understand now, grandpa, I get it now!" (he solved his dillema..by buying both. Good man.)
I too inherited a bucketload of tools as the only really woodworking/tool-oriented grandchild. Even better, I have a box of offcuts from his shop. Oak trim sticks, mostly. But a few "scrap" drawer fronts that he'd made and tossed into the pile.
Turning them over in my hands I notice the little things now. Oak ply edged with oak. Pretty tight miters. Bit of blow-out on the backside of the ply. I run my hands across it and tell grandpa that he probably shoulda used a zero clearance insert. He admonishes me that he probably did...which is why this one was in the scrap pile. I notice the finish and ask him what he used. Appreciate how the rounded edges are smooth and friendly to the hands.
And I try not to mix tears with the sawdust as it hits me just how much I miss him.
Know the feeling well. I wrote about my stumbling upon some of my grandfather's furniture here in a thread called "A gloat of magical proportions?" earlier this year ... DAGS if you like.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Oh, so you do that too?
Thanks to all who posted to this thread. It reaffirms what I suspected all along. Behind every woodworker there's someone who has influenced them. To those who have lost their father, I'm sorry. One day you will be reunited. To those who never knew their father, again, I'm sorry but like my two step daughters, (the only children I have), hopefully you have someone who stepped up to fill the void. Have a good holiday season.
--
"If you are arrogant, who's going to care if you're the best?"

You don't have to thank me (us) for posting here. I enjoy talking and remembering my father and I am sure the rest of you folks do to. Memories wouldn't be worth anything if you didn't remember them once in a while!