Mounting Mirror

I am making a wall hung key rack for my wife for Christmas out of some cherry that I was given. I plan to mount a small (4" diameter) mirror in the top section of the plaque like slab of wood. I have routed out a shallow circle to accommodate the mirror which came from the craft store with four little felt pads on it.

I do not wish to remove the felt for fear of disturbing the backing on the mirror. I have toyed with the idea of just dabbing some Titebond II on the felt and setting the glass into the hole, or perhaps using some kind of either building adhesive (Liquid Nails) or silicone caulk to secure it.

My concerns are: If I use the Titebond on just the felt pads, will there be enough adhesion to keep the mirror secure and in place when the piece is hanging on the wall? ...or... If I use adhesive, or caulk, will it have an adverse effect on the backing?

Anybody have any thoughts on my quandary? Once I apply whatever adhesive on the mirror or into the hole and set it into place, there will be no way to get it out, unless, of course, it falls out all by itself, which, is what I am trying to avoid. :-)

Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

George M. Kazaka

mirror mastic. a few healthy dots in a pattern on the back should do fine.

Reply to
nospam

I doubt it would stand up well to the test of time.

As suggested, Liquid Nails might work. If you want to be really, really sure, get some mirror mastic. It's a caulk-like adhesive sold for sticking mirrored tiles to walls and ceilings, and you'll find it wherever mirrored tiles are sold. Probably the BORGs carry it, but I haven't been looking for it, so I haven't ever noticed.

Reply to
Silvan

Others have addressed the question of what adhesive to use, as for the felt feet, of you're afraid to remove them and you want the mirror flush, route out recesses just for them, then you can use the adhesive directly on the mirror.

HTH

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

The question isn't "are there weapons of mass destruction?", the question is "who has them now?"

Mike Patterson

Quick and dirty way is to use double-sided tape like that used for carpeting! Holds well, won't show, can "back" the entire mirror if you choose!

-- In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

Reply to
Bob

Use a hair dryer to soften the felt adhesive, the dots will come right off. Get the mirror mastic & you're set to go.

HTH, Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell