Mounting a mirror

The mirror is approx 400 x 700mm and is 6mm thick with edge bevels that reduced this to 3mm.

It has no mounting holes and I don't want to drill any.

I can get mirror corner mounts but these are designed for 6+mm glass, and conscious the mirror will rattle around in them.

Is there a better way?

Reply to
Fredxx

Suitable thickness polyurethane foam behind to pack the mirror out slightly and make it secure?

Reply to
newshound

Mirror glue works amazingly well

The Natural Philosopher

Place a piece of hardboard behind the mirror to make it thicker than

6mm. at the edges (and to keep it flat to the mounting wall

Place a bit of cardboard behind the corners of the mirror so that it is a tight fit in the fixings. Stick some foam pads behind the corners of the mirror so that it is a tight fit in the fixings.

Take a hammer to the fixings to make any grooves 3mm.

Put some clear silicone in the fixings before inserting the mirror. Put some blutack in the fixings to stop the mirror rattling.

Reply to
alan_m

Pad the mirror from underneath, and add some around it to support it. I'm sure I saw some kind of rubber similar to the sort that they use for beading on windows and doors that had adhesive on one side for this sort of thing. I guess its the only game in town if your wall hads a bow in the middle like mine has. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Thanks for the ideas. I suppose I was initially reluctant to use glue from the permanence and potential damage to the wall and mirror on its removal.

I felt there is an issue is with the bevel and a potential point contact with the corner bracket and hoped there would be an alternative method of mounting.

I found these:

But while they might do the job they are rather expensive, and they look designed for a faster bevel than the mirror I have.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanks for the idea.

I like the idea of the mirror sitting on the wall without a gap behind, so it can take some pressure without deflection.

In the end I got these and home they can cope with the bevel without too much too much fettling:

Fredxx

Many thanks.

I have just purchased alternative brackets that hold the mirror directly against the wall but will save these details if they don't work out.

Reply to
Fredxx

I've used these which work well as the brackets have positive engagement and keep the mirror close and parallel to the wall

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

I've just realized that Fredx must have killfiled me so my suggestion of glue, which is THE simple way to do this, has gone completely by him... Karma.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're not in my killfile. You gave me the idea which I very much appreciated but as I said I felt it would damage the mirror and wall if I ever wanted to (re)move it. Otherwise it would have been an ideal solution.

Many thanks for the idea, but I went for a demountable solution, where after removal all I would have to do is fill 4 small holes.

Reply to
Fredxx

Another option is to cut 4 wooden discs & cut out enough room for the mirror corners to go into them. Paint.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat