motor/switch wiring

My old Delta lathe refused to start a day after turning a 11" bowl without incident. Before I try to distort my body in order to remove the motor from the metal cabinet, I thought I would bypass the on/off switch to see whether it is a switch problem. But, I am confounded by the 4 wire leads. There is white, black, red and orange. An arrow labeled "line" points to the white (and the black is next to it). There is an arrow labeled "load" pointing to the red (and the orange is along side that).
Which lines do I cross in order to get power to the motor to determine whether it is working? Everything rotates freely by hand, and I can see no reset button on the motor. The label is also obscured by the mounting.
TIA for help.
Galanw

Before you go about bypassing a switch, you should invest $10 in a multimeter. You can UNPLUG the lathe and use the ohms setting to test for continuity. With a switch like you have, there's most likely the 120 VAC in and 120 VAC out. Each is two pairs and at least one set (between out and in) must be off (no continuity) when the switch is off.
I wouldn't ever bypass a switch in anything that does more than turn on a light (or computer--but I'll hurt it before it hurts me.)
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

The "load" is the motor. The "line" is the cord which you plug into the wall. Check continuity with a multimeter. Always test this with the unit unplugged from the wall.. Jim