Most useless power tool you own?

| |> Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane. |> About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs |> when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm |> unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.|> |> What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?|> |> David| |For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing |never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses, |tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20 |years now. Do you think it might be 220v?
Maybe. The heavy-duty ones were. To meet current code, you need to replace that old cord with a new four-wire one and a dedicated 30A circuit.
I was given something similar, but it was an electric screwdriver. Nice screwdriver... with a 120V cord coming out of the handle. Worked okay on short screws, but longer ones caused the cord to twist so much that you had to keep backing up toward the outlet as you drove the screw. The other problem was that the handle was PVC and if you turned it too fast, static charge built up on it and caused the sawdust on the shop floor to explode. I glued on a piece of aluminum foil and grounded it to a cold water pipe and that fixed that.
You can never be too careful around power tools.

Clap clap clap... nice one!
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

blown the start capacitor tinkering with it.
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:37:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com

Yeah, but delta, or wye?

IIRC from my EE power course, three-phase motors don't need a starting cap -- they are self starting because the field is always rotating.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
maybe it's a rotary hammer, ya tink? try swingin it round in circles. Dan
calmly ranted:

It's no doubt a 220v Whitworth model, Bob. Sell it on Ebay.uk
========================================================= Save the ||| http://diversify.com Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming =========================================================

Maybe it was designed for metric volts.
<<For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses, tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20 years now. Do you think it might be 220v?>>
You can convert this to a cordless model. Lee Valley sells the conversion kit:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.asp?page238&category=2,42706,40720&ccurrency=2&SID Lee

Lotsa good, solid, pragmatic answers. You guys are so great. Sob.
Bob

He wasn't Canadian, was he? Didn't they used to use 50Hz power?

Laser level
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:59:03 -0500, "TaskMule"

Interesting. What sort and why?
I got one for a gift, Xmas of '03. If memory serves me well, it was the only gift I returned. 'Twas a Bad & Decker. A silly little pin was supposed to hold it on the wall--NOT! Now they use a silly suction cup; not sure which is the worse idea.
David
TaskMule wrote:

Tue, Jan 11, 2005, 6:59pm snipped-for-privacy@thistime.net (TaskMule) says: Laser level
Surely you jest. Absolutely fantastic tool. Great for driving squirrels and cats nuts. LMAO
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

But...that's what the laser-sight on the Glock is for. Dual-purpose too, in the case of certain pest animals.

Ugh. Got _another_ one this year. If it was self-leveling an accurate, great, but I'm sorry, you can't tell me that this 4 inch long thing with a little vial is going to be accurate enough for the whole length of a room.
A Roto Zip

Many years ago the Sears mail order house was the only game in town for power tools.
First purchased was a Craftsman 3/8 power drill. Chuck broke on first use. Mail ordered and paid for (too young and didn't know any better then) another Craftsman chuck replacement and also broke on first use.
Craftsman RAS collecting dust in garage, used perhaps 10 times and motor bearing went out - replaced by chop and table saw.
Craftsman belt sander - belt wonders all over the place, what a POS.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:52:57 -0800, David wrote:

Benchtop tools. I had a bench band saw and a bench table saw. Both under powered and a poor match for my long term needs.
dga