bandsaw specs

I have a 14" bandsaw. I embarassed to say that I don't know what that means. Will someone please enlighten me? Thanks, John

Reply to
John

AFAIK the 14" equals the amount of saw that it is possible to expose - not the amount of saw it is possible to use for cutting. 14" bandsaws have at least a 3/4 HP induction motor instead of the small universal motor found on jigsaws. This allows the bandsaw to cut through THICK stock, up to 6 or more inches thick. I don't know what the max thickness is for a 14" bandsaw.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois
14" wheel diameter

This translates into an "almost" 14" throat capacity.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Reply to
Clint

That's it.

Reply to
George

My 14" Rockwell has a 1/2HP motor that resaws 6" hardwoods well as it doesn't have the riser. The 14" refers to the diameter of the wheels.

motor found

Reply to
nospambob

I thought I posted this question a few days ago but I haven't seen appear. So, I'll try again. I have a 14" Grizzley Bandsaw. What does the 14" signify? I can't saw a

14' thickness so what does it mean? Thanks for any info. John
Reply to
John

you got lots of replies, including several with the correct answer: the 14" is the wheel diameter.

Reply to
bridger