Mortise Pal

Hi: Anyone have experience with the Mortise Pal mortising jig.??
I am ready to purchase but would like to have some first-hand user/owner comments.
John

I don't own it, but it was just written up in the latest Shop Notes magazine. Pat Warner also makes a mortising jig for the router. I've been very happy with his stuff. patwarner.com
JP
I checked the Patwarner site. His morticer has two severe disadvantages. First, it is 50% more expensive (>$299 plus some additional hardware) than the MorticePal. Second, it is NOT designed for "loose tenon" joinery.
Otherwise, he has an interesting site.
John

Correction: The review's in the latest Woodsmith, not Shop Notes.
JP
"John Eppley" wrote:

No, and for $189, probably won't get any.
There are lots of free designs out there using just some scrap wood that do a pretty good job which is what I did.
YMMV
Lew
There are "MANY" mortising jigs that can be built.
Here is dead simple, dirt cheap version that is quite easy and "similar" to the pricey Mortising Pal.
http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/090/extras/plunge-router-mortising-jig /
Is it a "perfect" jig ??? Nawwww...
but it is quick to make and very simple to use.
John Eppley wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

I'll second that jig! It works great.
Thanks for your inputs. I solved my problem by using my router table with a JESSUM router lift. By raising the bit 1/4 inch at a time it readily makes a great mortising tool.
John