Mortise by machine question.

Page 2 of 2

How do you avoid the splotching?
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Good pine doesn't splotch (IMHE)
It's the fast grown stuff, fresh off the tree and still full of unstable resin, that's the worst for splotching and bleeding.
(OK, all pine splotches - but slow-grown, or especially old recycled stuff, is nothing like so bad)

Just bought one of those at Rockler this weekend (along with a no-brand tenon jig), so I'm following the discussion avidly.
Where I am I would try putting the wood outside overnight -- it would be stone-hard in the morning. Anyone tried that?
Regards, Allen