Mortality

Page 3 of 3

tom wrote:

Maybe I'm dating myself, and times have changed.
Lew

Likewise, I just haven't found an enjoyable Irish whiskey. Haven't found one with anything approaching the complexity and character of a _good_ single-malt Scotch.

I was underwhelmed by that one. Unless there's a special one?

Of course.

Unless you have a great local source...which I do. I'll try it, thanks for the suggestion. Been out of Bourbon for months.

"New Wave" Dave In Houston

I think that it Irish Whiskey, not scotch...
Frank Drackman said:

Unless it's an enemy. And it definitely gets pre-processed. <g>
Greg G.
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:03:14 -0600, Swingman wrote:

You want to be careful about putting hot stuff into a wooden cylinder. ;)
Tom, you're going to die - we all are. Some of us do it quicker than others, one a year probably does it surprisingly quickly by car or motorbike. Having something treatable caught early on with modern healthcare is a lot safer position to be in than just crossing the street talking to a cellphone.
(My sister in law is an oncologist _and_ dermatologist. I couldn't get so much as a zit without my wife spinning dire tales of woe and having it prodded over the dining table.)
Still, the mausoleum furniture is a nice idea. One reason I do this is because I hope to leave furniture behind that's going to last a century longer than I do. I particularly like timber framing in oak, because I see plenty of barns that are 400+ years old and still going strong. As far as railing against mortality goes, decent woodworking isn't such a bad legacy to leave behind and it's a damn sight easier than pyramids.

Yeah, well make it as a convertible tool cabinet or something first. I don't think you're in any danger of falling off your perch _just_ yet.
Just had one of those surgically removed from my back. What a bummer.... Got it removed all sewn up and all the stitches pulled out an hour later. Off to the ER bleeding like stuck pig. Now you can't re-stitch a wound that was already stitched up - even if it was only an hour ago so I'm told. Pressure bandage and lots of good tape to hold everything in place. Out the door I go......
Next morning, I'm on fire! Back looks like somebody took a blowtorch to it and it's itching like fire ant's to up residence my skin... Yep, back to the ER. Appears that I'm allergic to the adhesive that is used on cloth/plastic type bandages - big time. Lots of cream applied (feels so good not to be burning and itchin) and now they use the paper tape which wouldn't stick to tar if you stapled it on.... I suggested using a staple gun but the doc nixed that idea.
Six weeks of the wife changing bandages daily and wiping on a handful of some prescription cream to heal the red skin. She is a real trooper when it comes to doing nursing duties. Ever try to get paper bandages to stick to skin with ointment all over it... What a freakin mess and all that time I couldn't work in the shop for fear of the wound opening and bleeding again. I asked for it to be cauterized but they said it would leave a nasty scar and they wouldn't do that. Ok then, how about a hot branding iron.... That got a look or two from the nurses....;-)
Tom, not that it has anything to do with anything but I have a neighbor that has had more treatments for skin cancer than he can remember - including skin grafts and even the new fake skin (which by the way looks better than his own backside skin,...) He's been having these yearly treatments now for over 20 years and he'll be celebrating his 85th birthday pretty soon. You have a way to go....
Do make that shelf for the kitchen and when done, place a bottle of the finest spirits you enjoy on it and the next time you feel like you're having a bad day, grab the bottle, grab the wife and go look at that great view you have outside your shop. It won't get much better than that.....
Bob S.

(Snip Of Hell On Earth)
Damn, BobS, my little thing was a picnic compared to yours.
I'm glad mine wasn't as bad as yours, 'cause I'm a big sissy and don't like fussing with blood much beyond the band-aid level.
I was just using mine as a joke lead in to a dumb story.
I'm glad to hear that your more serious thing turned out OK.

You snookered me ....;-)
Yeah, it was a bit of a mess for awhile but the prognosis is good and like yourself - I'll be seeing the expensive one every year. I'm way behind on my projects for Christmas but now I can work in the shop again - and it has a whole new meaning too.
Some things do get better...
Bob S.

Tom Watson wrote:

I had 3 taken off earlier this year...couple, three months. The one major one (non cancerous) remains a problem because the surgical student messed up the stitching and the nurse pulling stitches was jittery because another surgeon was rushing her. She didn't get all the stitches out. Silly nonsense, except that one end sticks out, gets rubbed, and I haven't had time to go back and get it re-cut (now healed around it, but the miserable SOB wouldn't encapsulate). It's a nuisance procedure, almost no pain (the ones on my scalp felt worse, because you can *hear* the scalpel working). Biggest hassle: it itches about 95% of the time.
Things may slack off here after the holidaze. Then I can go let another med student practice on me.
Another of the multifarious joys of aging. The ones on my scalp kept me out of the shop for about 3 days.

When I turned 47 (nearly 6 years ago) I had a rather rude surprise and became the near dead....Facing my mortality my first regret was the damn house still wasn't in proper shape to leave the Mrs......after surgery, a drug regime to control the condition, a long recuperation including a set back or two and few years later I decided to venture into my shop and build something, anything.......I settled on a Kitchen wall shelf approx. 5ft wide and 4 ft high....with legs still wobbly, a bit unsteady and not particularly comfortable cutting much of anything I decided to build a stool first to hold me up when the rest of me couldn't.....I love that stool as it stands for that long road back to whatever life and purpose I have left......The kitchen shelf looks pretty good as well......Rod
hold me up when the rest of me couldn't.....I love that stool as it stands

Nice Rod. Thanks and Best wishes for a continued, prolonged recovery. Here's hoping there's more shelves in your future!

Glad you got it taken care of Tom. Having grown up in Tucson, the skin cancer center of the northern hemisphere, I'm now a two times a year visitor to my dermatologist.
Now get back to that shelf.