more of why I can't use my name

Page 1 of 3
I am switching jobs my 2 hour commute each way sucked, and today a packet (email) came in with all these forms to sign both electronically and old style.
Well this is the first time two things have been put like this. One is the I-9 requires me to get my two forms of ID notarized to send the form back to them. Normally I just fax my drivers license and SS card.
The second is where it gets real interesting. I can not quote as I am too afraid that they will pick up on this. (not really but not taking any chances).
First it says that cyberspace is now legally considered an extension of the workplace. as such, I am not allowed to post anything negative about anyone or anything at anytime whether work related or not. I am not allowed to post any negative comments period.
I can fired for _ANY_ negative postings. So at first I thought this is far reaching and intrusive, but in thinking about it, if I identify myself, they think I can be traced back to their company and therefore anything I say can have an effect on them.
So first F them, but secondly, it's why I won't post my full name. I think these companies are getting out of control.
What happened to this country... (I don't need an answer I already know).
--
Jeff
formerly tiredofspam..
woodchucker wrote:

So what constitutes a negative posting? A bad tool review? A dishonest tool review?

On 1/7/13 8:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:

It's so funny to see employers try to word their bullshit with legalize to try to make sound all official and legal. A lot of it is not. An "extension of the workplace?" What complete bullshit. They can say what they want, it doesn't make it legal and it's doesn't supersede your 1st amendment rights.
That being said, my state, TN, is a right-to-work and fire-at-will state, meaning they have laws allowing employers to fire an employee without cause, for any reason at all. Now, we all know there are federal laws prohibiting employers from firing anyone based on race, gender, religion, etc. So, even if an employer is firing someone because of a reason prohibited by law, as long as they give some other reason, it is legal.
They can say nothing, they can say, we just don't like him, they can say, he smells funny. :-)
--

-MIKE-

The First Amendment constrains the government, not the private sector, and it is *not* a violation of the employee's First Amendment rights for a *private* employer to muzzle (or attempt to) the employee's speech, whether in or out of the workplace.
On 1/8/2013 7:07 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

I believe the employer has the Right to terminate an employee if the employer believes that the employee has done something to harm the company. I believe it would be up to the court to decide if the specific action harmed the company.
My guess is that if an employee was distributing anything, papers, video, phone calls, or internet post that cast the company in a negative image he should consider himself a candidate for termination.
UNLESS he can frame it to make it appear he is a whistle blower and there are laws to protect him. Though you are back in court.

That may depend on state law and any employment contracts that may exist (e.g. a union agreement).

Of course. And that is as it should be.

On 1/8/2013 6:56 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

In a right to work state, "like Texas" the employer can fire you if you enter the building with your right foot entering before your left foot.
Having said that it is likely his unemployment taxes would go up as a result, if the terminated employee files for unemployment, however he can fire any one for any reason.

It's not a "right to work" issue, rather an "at will employment" issue, though they tend to go together in enlightened states. "Right to work" means that "closed" union shops aren't allowed; you aren't required to join a union to work in a union shop. "At will employment" means that the employer has the same rights as you do. You can quit for any reason at all, or no reason. You can also be fired for any reason at all (except the federally proscribed reasons) or no reason at all.

Or no reason.

or if the employer does not believe that the employee has done something to harm the company.

That's certainly true for me. My employment is "at will". I can be fired or I can quit "at will". No justification whatsoever required, except as noted above (i.e. "protected status").
On 1/8/13 6:07 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

I believe you are mistaken. There are private companies in the Detroit who have been taken to court and order to provide breaks and rooms with eastward facing windows to allow their Muslim employees time and place to practice their first amendment rights.
--

-MIKE-

I'd like to see a citation for that.

I hadn't heard about that (and I can't imagine that it would hold up on appeal).
Got a cite?
On 1/8/13 4:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

No I don't, it was an article a few years ago. There's all kinds of that stuff going on in Michigan. Huge Muslim population up there.
In any case, do you think if a private employer told a Jewish man he couldn't wear a yamaka to work, they wouldn't get their butts sued?
--

-MIKE-

*yarmulke
Yes, the employer would probably get sued. It's not clear who would win the case.
On 1/8/13 7:08 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Not clear... because of our corrupted court system which has been taken over by activist judges, perhaps. The constitution and prevailing cases are pretty clear on the matter.
--

-MIKE-

How clear it is depends on which specific First Amendment freedoms you're talking about. It does not violate the *Constitution* if a private-sector employer fires an employee because of his religion -- because the First Amendment restrains the government, not the private sector. However, it does violate both state and Federal *employment law*.
In employment-at-will states, a company is perfectly free to fire an employee who expresses opinions which the employer doesn't like -- and there is no violation of the First Amendment.
"woodchucker" wrote:
<snip>

-------------------------------------------------- Talk about sheer paranoia.
Assume this is at best, a short term inconvenience.
Lew
"woodchucker" wrote in message
So first F them . . .
You've already blown it!
Dave in Texas
On 1/7/2013 11:51 PM, Dave in Texas wrote:

Nope, I didn't identify myself, therefore they can't figure out who I am or who said it.
If my name were attached, I would be identifying them in some indirect way. Now you can't say it came from so and so in company ABC.
--
Jeff
formerly tiredofspam..