2 hour electric timer

Is there such a thing as a 2 hour (or similar) electric timer. To be used with an air con unit to stop `renters` leaving the air con on all day. Looking for something that when switched on will switch off after a given time and have to be reset.

Has to be uncomplicated re wiring if possible.

The 24 hour timers are no good as they could be set for continuous running.

thanks

Reply to
SS

Any good at building electronics? I can think of several kits which will do what you want. But try a search on Ebay for a ready made unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But it would depend on the load of the aircon.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It might also be worth checking to make sure they don't stay on (i.e. countdown doesn't start) if the button is permanently held down as that's the first thing I'd try if I were them! ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Yes, there are such things but they can be a little difficult to find. They are usually (but not always) called 'count down' timers, finding one that is also a switch is the difficult bit.

I have several 3 hour plugin ones that I use for electric fires so it doesn't matter too much if I forget to turn them off. I also have one on my electric solcering iron (maximum 1 hour on this one).

They are very useful and I'm surprised that they're not more readily available.

A quick froogle turns up the following examples:-

last one is like the three hour ones I have.

Reply to
tinnews

It might also be worth checking to make sure they don't stay on (i.e. countdown doesn't start) if the button is permanently held down as that's the first thing I'd try if I were them! ;-)

Mathew

Thanks all, they look ideal.

I think the rating is ok but if someone could confirm please. The aircon units are.....

rated voltage 220-240 rated frequency 50 Hz rated current 4.2A rated input cooling 930w rated input cooling 900w max current 6.3 A Max input 1250W

thanks

Reply to
SS

They certainly will habdle that power.

How does the aircon react when power is turned on? Does it need any programming or anything? I was wondering if you could have problems if switched in this way or is it just a case of pressing the cooling button?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There is a remote control, it does have a timer facility on it but I only ever use the on off button. I reckon most would use the on/off button rather than trying to programme the timer part of it/

So i reckon the way this would work is I switch on the air con then set the timer for say 1 hour after that period (hoping) it should switch off.

Reply to
SS

similar.

16A contacts, live in / live out / neutral terminals.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That addition of a PIR, so it is re triggered with movement in the room might be a nice addition too.

Reply to
Toby

Yes. Immersion heater or "boost" timers. About 15-20 quid. TLC etc. carry them.

The usual sort has a button to rotate through "off, 15, 30, 60, 120" settings.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks all for the replies It has been most useful and should now solve my problem.

thanks again to all.

Reply to
SS