More Actual Woodworking and another use for the Domino

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 18:08:02 -0600, Leon

Yup. I think it just looked much larger with the 5mm slot inside it. To me anyway, it was an optical illusion.

Reply to
none

I got mine from LV when they had an 'introductory' offer a number of years past. One end has a slightly funky grind that isn't exactly square so I have to be careful.

I agree with the comment that whatever gets used, it needs to fit in a pocket. Anything bigger usually gets set down on the table saw and eventually hits the concrete when I move the fence to 'clear the work space'. Measuring/marking equipment rarely survives a trip to the concrete floor...

-BR

Brewster

OK. No big differences, then. I've several squares, Starretts and a Mitutoyo, and one Empire, in 4", 6", 12" (3), and 24" sizes, all but two have satin chrome rules. Prices at a local antiques consignment shop ranged from $15 (6" Mitutoyo) to $60 for the 12" Starrett with protractor and center heads. The 30 year old 12" Empire ($9?) gets the most use for general construction and household purposes since it is accurate and I do not worry about dropping it. The better squares are used for layout and machine setups.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Yeah. all in what you prefer. Much better made than the "cheap" combo squares for the purpose that they are designed.

If my combo squares were Starretts I probably would not have gotten these.

Reply to
Leon