More Actual Woodworking and another use for the Domino

Page 2 of 2
On 2/7/2014 6:14 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:

Probably nothing. How does your combination square compare in price? Is you square all satin chrome steel?
These stop rules operate very smoothly and have a good feel. I find my combination squares a bit cumbersome.

OK. No big differences, then. I've several squares, Starretts and a Mitutoyo, and one Empire, in 4", 6", 12" (3), and 24" sizes, all but two have satin chrome rules. Prices at a local antiques consignment shop ranged from $15 (6" Mitutoyo) to $60 for the 12" Starrett with protractor and center heads. The 30 year old 12" Empire ($9?) gets the most use for general construction and household purposes since it is accurate and I do not worry about dropping it. The better squares are used for layout and machine setups.
On 2/10/2014 9:43 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:

Yeah. all in what you prefer. Much better made than the "cheap" combo squares for the purpose that they are designed.
If my combo squares were Starretts I probably would not have gotten these.
On 2/7/14 7:43 AM, Swingman wrote:

I got mine from LV when they had an 'introductory' offer a number of years past. One end has a slightly funky grind that isn't exactly square so I have to be careful.
I agree with the comment that whatever gets used, it needs to fit in a pocket. Anything bigger usually gets set down on the table saw and eventually hits the concrete when I move the fence to 'clear the work space'. Measuring/marking equipment rarely survives a trip to the concrete floor... -BR
--- ---