Googled a bit , but no hint of what these 'slots' hold ... clamp/hold_down/???.
Anyone know ??? A URL pointer ???
Ed

Try the Hand Tools forum at www.woodcentral.com
Patriarch
0_Qed wrote:

http://stores.stanleytools.com/Mitre%20Boxes/ to see if there's a close match. I've got a printout at home for the old one I have but I'm not sure where I downloaded it from. I'll see if I can locate it tonight but I'm rearranging my library so it may take a while. Joe

Just a bit of speculation... My (power) miter saw has attachments for cutting crown molding- they basically are a pair of little stop blocks that you use to hold the crown in place as it would be up in the corner so you can just make a standard 45* cut instead of messing with a compound miter. My guess would be you slots are for the same thing- they had to cut crown in the old days as well, and that would sure make it easier.
Even if that isn't what the slots are for, you could (probably) use them for that. If you take a strip of wood and cut it to the width of the slot, and then cut a slot in that strip, you can run a bolt up from the bottom and through your stop block, and slap a wing nut on the top. When you set the thing in the groove and tighten the bolt, it spreads the strip and holds the assembly in place. Works great for featherboards on the table saw, I can't see why it wouldn't work here as well.
Prometheus wrote:

...snip...
Great 'thots' ... thanks.
Think I'll 'play' around with that notion.
The slots ( 1/2" wide ), in the cast , horiz table, extend =thru= the back, verticle fence , ending in a cast-in 'boss' behind the vert fence , and, as part of the cast , horiz table.
Gotta 'be' some function to these rear_ward, extended slots.
Ed