Dado mitre question

Hi, hope someone can help me!

I am putting a dado rail up our staircase. The rise of the staircase is pretty much spot on 45 degrees.

At the top of the stairs, the wall immediately turns right down a corridor, at an angle of 90 degrees.

I am trying to figure how to cut the rail so that the part at the top of stairs (at 45 degrees) blends nicely in to the rail that will then be horizontal AND heading off 90 degrees to the right.

The rail is the standard type that is similar to a picture frame (i.e. a "bulbous" bottom and thinner at the top).

Any help appreciated

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

That's called a compound mitre i.e. mitred in both directions. The easiest way is with a compound mitre saw otherwise it's a case of careful measuring and cutting. Maybe do it on bits of scrap first till you get the angle and technique right. Just one point, I thought Dado rails were "bulbous" at the top and thinner at the bottom.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

An alternative is for the last few centimetres to be horizontal, then all angles are 45 degrees. Obviously the dado along the corridor would then be slightly lower, which may not suit. Just a thought.

Reply to
Codswallop

Thanks for that. I'll try the "trial and error" approach! It's a concious decision to do the rail upside down, as it suits the purposes of this particular job better.

Reply to
Andrew

It's not done that way. As you have found out the ends of the dado will not match. You must come up the staircase. Have a piece of dado ON THE STAIRCASE that is horizontal, then go around the corner....

Rgds

Reply to
Alec

You go up the stair wall and stop at last stairwell at 45 degrees,you then carry on with the same 45 degrees to the landing wall and 45 degrees mitre for the landing wall

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's not possible to do this in one join because the dimensions of the two cut ends will be different. Others have said how to do it.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

can you not run the piece on the stairs past the wall at the top? then the wall piece you want to join run into the stairs overhang, scribe the profile then cut out to fit the two together? its not the best i don't think but maybe an option....

Reply to
Kris Dawson

In general terms, what you are trying to do is to make a 45 degree cut in one piece and a 90 degree cut in the other. If you measure the height of the cut face on the 45 degree piece you will find it is more than the height of the cut face on the 90 degree piece. So they can never fit. You need to have the same angle on both pieces. This will mean, as others have said, that you will have to have a change of direction once, and then another change of direction a bit later. So there will a piece sandwiched in the middle which has one type of cut one end and another type of cut the other.

Reply to
Rob graham